Senior Software Engineer (Full-Stack) - NRHL Catalog at Nordstrom
A Senior Engineer 1 is part of a key team of Nordstrom Technology professionals that applies scientific, mathematical, and social principles to design, build, and maintain technology products, devices, systems, and solutions. These technology products and solutions provide amazing customer experiences while meeting the needs of the business. The scope, responsibility, and accountability at the solution level.
As a Senior Software Engineer 1 on the NRHL Catalog Management team, you will be developing web-facing and internal APIs, Applications and Services that support the NordstromRack.com and HauteLook product catalog systems and processes including; Item Setup and maintenance, Item classification, product images, and copy tooling, plus more. Our team is full stack with a bias towards the backend. Legacy services are maintained in PHP, Symfony2, jQuery, MySQL. New services are built with Functional Scala, Java Spring, React.js, Akka Streams, Kafka, RabbitMQ, and deployed via Kubernetes/Docker
Some initiatives we are currently focused on:
- Empowering Dropship at Nordstrom by Increasing item setup and maintenance automation
- Moving the NRHL Photo Studios to consistent tooling and services within Nordstrom
- Replacing PHP tools and services with microservices based on more modern platforms written in Java/Scala/Akka/Kafka
- Understand business requirements to identify and define technology solutions.
- Collaborate with internal business and technology partners to identify options and analyze the pros and cons.
- Make recommendations for complex technical designs that align with technology standards.
- Develop best-effort estimates for project planning.
- Contribute to documentation of technical designs of systems.
- Contribute to application development and production support efforts.
- Create system architectures, manage source code, coordinate development environment configuration, and plan for release and deployment to ensure optimal development and production support.
- Define and assign tasks, coordinate activities, and review team deliverables.
- Provide timely and effective communication regarding work status to appropriate stakeholders. Escalate issues and propose solutions.
- Coordinate with other teams to ensure optimal software release for complex and/or large implementations with cross-team dependencies.
- Write application code, tests to exercise the code, document the design, and troubleshoot/debug the systems and applications.
- Identify performance issues and optimize the applications
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of secure coding practices and secure system fundamentals
- Understand security protocols, interpret security and compliance requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in CS, Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of professional experience as a software engineer
- Experience in modern software development with multi-paradigm languages, such as C#, Java, or Scala
- Experience in software design concepts such as the SOLID principles, Design Patterns, or Domain-Driven Design
- Experienced in SQL development with expertise in optimizing queries
- Experience in frontend web application development with frameworks such as React or Angular
- Experience in distributed systems integration with messaging/streaming platforms such as Kafka or RabbitMQ
We’ve got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2020 Nordstrom, Inc.
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.