Senior Software Engineer - Video
Lightstream is building the future of live video production. Since 2014, we have been building a cloud-based livestreaming studio with the goal of removing all the technical hurdles and putting advanced production capabilities in the hands of beginners. Today, we have thousands of creators streaming with Lightstream Studio for thousands of hours every day. We have partnered with Microsoft to offer Lightstream Studio to millions of Xbox and Windows streamers as part of the native OS experience. We even license our technology to major game studios.
What’s next? At the core of the Studio experience is our patented cloud compositing pipeline. Lightstream Cloud has launched into beta. It is an entirely cloud-based, livestreaming production pipeline: ingest, produce, composite, and distribute all via an API. POST multiple sources of video or media, GET a fully composited and produced video sent to any destination - multi-input, multi-output, multi-format, and multi-transport.
As our newest teammate, you will work closely with the entire engineering team on our core products and services, directly impacting the business and customers we serve. This position will participate in all aspects of the development lifecycle - from specification through development all the way to production, you will have a directly impact our products. Most importantly, as we are a startup, you must be comfortable balancing business needs and time-to-market, and willing to make the appropriate trade-offs where necessary.
What we’re looking for...
- Deep knowledge and comfortable with RAII-style programming with C++11 and newer standard features.
- Strong understanding of network communication via TCP and UDP and the ability to optimize for low latency.
- Extensive knowledge of graphical tools and pipelines (FFmpeg, OpenGL, DirectX, etc.)
- Ability to write robust, high performance code along with the tooling to measure and verify it.
- A ‘good vibes’ teammate -- someone other people really want to work with.
We get really excited about people with...
- Experience and enthusiasm for improving operational performance and efficiency of complex systems, particularly with the use of data.
- Ability to prioritize and balance needs in a startup environment.
- Production experience with SIMD-based optimizations.
- Low-level GPU-based compositing experience and experience with shader-based transforms.
- Video transport and container experience in a low latency live video setting. (WebRTC, RTP, SRT)
- Production experience with microservices and/or containers.
- Proven track record of learning new languages, tools or approaches. Maybe you’ve picked up something like Elixir, Rust or Go. Maybe you’re interested in functional programming.
Our team is driven by curiosity, a constant state of learning, good vibes, and strong opinions loosely held. We constantly reevaluate our past decisions to divine an even better path forward. Most of our team has deep experience in gaming (Razer, Steelseries, AMD/ATI, MLG, and more), livestreaming (Twitch, Mixer, and more), and video (OBS). We were one of the top companies to go through Techstars in 2015, have been awarded a Chicago Innovation Award, and our early believers include MK Capital, Pritzker Group, MATH Ventures, Drive Capital, and more. We’ve been proud to not only build something truly amazing, but to build a company and culture we can be proud of. We are grateful for the rare opportunity to solve exceptionally hard problems with people we love and respect.
Read Full Job Description