Site Reliability Engineer - Point of Sale
About The Opportunity
Grubhub / Seamless is the nation's leading online and mobile food-ordering company dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local takeout restaurants. Our online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from thousands of takeout restaurants across the country.
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 80,000 restaurants and over 14 million diners across 1,600 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
Site Reliability Engineers are embedded in small Engineering teams and focus on the operational aspects of our services. Our SREs run their respective products and services from conception to continuous operation. We're looking for engineers who want to be a part of developing, scaling and maintaining complex, high throughput services.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
The Point of Sale team at Grubhub designs, builds and operates the services and infrastructure that integrate with the various in-restaurant point of sale systems. Currently, we integrate with the top 10 systems and are actively developing more each quarter. We’re operating at scale - we service more than 300,000 orders daily, and some of the problems we’re solving now are interlinking internal microservices to external vendors and providing high level intersystem functionality to support staff. Our team has helped build everything from a complex delivery system, to a hyper-local search platform and everything in between. If you enjoy focusing on reliability, performance, capacity planning and the automation of everything, you’d probably like this position.
You Should Have
- Python – our primary language for automation
- Java - our primary language for backend services
- AWS (EC2, RDS, SQS, SNS, Lambda, IAM, VPC Networking)
WHAT’S ACTUALLY REQUIRED:
- Python development experience
- Experience with common cloud design patterns (think SOA, The 12 Factor App, et cetera)
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Programming experience in addition to Python (Java, Scala, Go, etc.)
- Continuous integration, testing, and deployment
- Understanding of the JVM
- Exceptional communication and troubleshooting skills
NICE TO HAVE:
- Java development experience
- Working in an embedded team model
- Experience with Cassandra
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with POS integration (Aloha, Xenial, etc)
- Experience in frontend development
- Experience in Fastly or equivalent CDN
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.