Site Reliability Engineer at Optiver (Chicago, IL)
The Site Reliability Engineering team is the steward of our trading systems, balancing a safe, orderly production environment with profitability and sustainable growth.
Our responsibility is to stay ahead of the complexity inherent in scaling a distributed system that handles over half a million correlated financial instruments across multiple data centers and thousands of servers -- all the while striving for simplicity, dependability, and operational excellence.
We understand the full breadth of all production systems, including how they interconnect and interact, and we use this knowledge to deploy, monitor, troubleshoot, and scale up our trading infrastructure. We work with traders, development teams, and operations team to coordinate and influence improvements to our systems.
What you'll do:
- Deploy, monitor, and configure a suite of proprietary trading applications
- Provide technical expertise and support to a high frequency trading floor in a competitive market-making environment
- Develop fluency with existing systems, infrastructure, and procedures, and proactively work to improve them
- Continually drive production systems toward cleanliness, simplicity, and reliability
- Work with development to ensure the health and stability of the production trading environment
- Intelligently automate while maintaining firm human control
- Script against configuration files, databases, and logs
- Track and solve issues as part of a fast-paced results driven set of IT teams
What you'll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or other STEM field
- Experience scripting (python preferred)
- Interest in operating systems and network architectures
- Ability to learn quickly and autonomously
- Attention to detail, diligence, and a high personal bar for performance expectations
- Strong communication, organizational, and analytical skills
- Knowledge of the trading and finance industries is not required
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required; we will not sponsor individuals for employment authorization for this job opening
Who we are:
Optiver is a leading proprietary trading firm using technology to provide the most up-to-date and competitive prices in financial products around the world. Put simply, we improve the markets. Achieving this requires excellence in everything we do. That’s not merely an aspiration, but our reason for being.
We’re seeking people who up the ante with nerve, with guts and, most importantly, with heart. We’re looking for the bold. Does that describe you? Then opt in.
*If you are an upcoming graduate, please instead apply to our Graduate Site Reliability Engineer position.*