Sittercity’s mission is to make child care finally work. We pioneered tech enabled child care in 2001, and we connect millions of parents with babysitters and nannies every year. Recently recognized as a 2018 Chicago Innovation Award winner, we are building a platform that is radically simplifying the way we find, book and pay for trusted care. Headquartered in Chicago, we serve families and caregivers nationwide.
How we work:
We operate in cross functional teams that focus on delivering user value in small increments each sprint. We believe strongly in collaboration across all levels of our teams during each sprint iteration. Tests are a fundamental part of our development cycle. We practice Test-Driven Development. We release frequently with an established continuous integration stack. Developers are responsible for coding, testing, releasing to production, and monitoring their releases. We encourage open and respectful feedback.
What You’ll Do
On any given sprint you will work with Product Owners to understand requirements, collaborate with mobile and platform developers to make architecture decisions, specify API schemas, write code, open PRs, address comments or concerns from reviewers, obtain sign off from Product Owners, merge and release your work, monitor logs and metrics, celebrate, and reflect on what worked and what didn’t during the previous iteration. Our current tech stack includes Ruby, Rails, Golang, GraphQL, Postgres and Vue.js and is constantly evolving as we learn and grow. You don’t need to know all these technologies but you should be excited and willing to learn!
- Work autonomously and take ownership of projects
- Collaborate with product owners to understand the ‘why’ behind initiatives
- Work with backend and front end engineers to write technical stories and to estimate feasibility and effort level for ongoing initiatives
- Ship features independently while maintaining open communication with stakeholders and tech team
- Take initiative in improving software and tools to address challenges in your own experience as a developer
- Mentor other developers and help with code reviews
- Be open to provide and receive feedback from peers and managers
- You love to code
- You think test-driven development is pretty great
- You love picking up new technologies
- Have production experience with Go and Ruby
- Have experience using Docker and/or Kubernetes (GCP is a bonus)
- Can lead technical discussions and help drive decisions
- Self-motivated and self-managing; you own your code even after is released to Production
- Have a positive attitude and a desire to learn and teach
- You are naturally curious and get excited to dig in and understand how things work
- You release code early and often and build incrementally towards customer value
- A fulfilling and dynamic work environment
- Support for flexible and remote working environments
- Open personal time off policy
- Health, dental, vision, disability, life, 401(k)
- Food and healthy snacks throughout the day
- Ping pong and on-site fitness center
- Company events, social outings, and volunteer opportunities
- Industry leading maternal and paternal leave
Sittercity is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis as prohibited by federal, state or local law.