Software Engineer - Exchange Core
Seed is an innovative financial exchange focused on cryptocurrency and emerging markets. Through its regulated subsidiaries, Seed operates a physical spot market, a regulated derivatives exchange and an innovative settlement system for institutional trading. A fast-growing company, Seed was founded in late 2015 and has since raised over $20m in venture financing to build out the future of trading. Seed recently sold a subsidiary to Dough, Inc., a major Chicago trading group. Seed’s founders, having met at MIT, have been highlighted as some of Chicago’s ’20 in Their 20s’.
The Seed Culture
All Seed employees are guided by the following characteristics and core principles:
- Independence - an ability to work alone. There is no micromanaging here. Join Seed, pitch ideas and shape the work you do. You will be given responsibility from day one.
- Vision - an ability to see the broader picture. We are innovating quickly and challenging the status quo. Seeing where we fit in is critical in making it a reality.
- Positivity - a good attitude and respect for others. We’re teammates, not co-workers.
- Ambition - an ability and a passion for learning and getting things done. We will champion you, challenge you, and push you to achieve your best – and we expect the same in return.
- Empathy - an ability to understand the customer. We do not build products for industry, but with industry. Learn our markets and speak to our end-users.
- Adaptability - an ability to respond quickly. We are in a fast-paced industry and so we expect you to be creative when solving a new problem and comfortable under pressure.
We believe that the best way to succeed is by having a happy, motivated and healthy team. We offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare Insurance: Seed currently covers roughly 75% of employee premiums. By the end of the year, Seed will cover 100% of employee’s premiums and contribute to dependents.
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Maternity & Paternity leave
- Visa sponsorship
- Free Gym
- Life insurance
- Flexible work schedule
Investing in Our Employees and Broader Community
We want Seed to have a positive mark on our every employee and our community at large:
- Regular Team Building Activities: we like to ‘play’ as a team from ping pong competitions, escape rooms, boat trips and drinks on rooftops.
- Continued development and sponsorship of tuition: we invest in our people, paying for specific tuition and conferences as well as ‘study leave’. We have team members preparing for the bar, developers attending conferences and members of our compliance group taking additional qualifications.
- Creating a work environment for all: we think it is important to continuously evaluate our workplace ethos to ensure it is a place everyone wants to work and can thrive in. For example, we have developed unconscious bias training for our hiring team.
- Seed giving back: Seed has created a free transportation for unemployed Chicagoans to assist them in their search for jobs. We also sponsor different projects, including the arts.
About the Role
Seed is seeking a Software Engineer to assist in building lower-level matching engine and settlement systems. We are seeking a smart, driven individual that can help us deliver an institutional experience. We are a high performing team looking for an equally ambitious teammate.
- Design and deliver robust applications and APIs to support the company’s vital business.
- Keep everyone informed about the health and viability of the platform by reporting known issues and status of ongoing investigations.
- Identify and advocate for changes vital to the stability and supportability of the system.
- Mentor and advise teammates to ensure new features are efficient, highly available, and fault tolerant.
- 5+ years of experience as Software Engineer delivering C++ server applications.
- Expert at modern C++ and Python.
- Expert at low latency/lock-free algorithms and design.
- Solid understanding of networking protocols
- Solid understanding of middleware options.
- Expert skill in designing scalable framework APIs and REST interfaces.
- Solid understanding of database schema design (MongoDB, Postgres, MySql, Influx)
- Proficient with automated test tools.
- Expert at performance tuning in a Linux environment.
- Web development skills a plus.
- Willingness to dive in and assist teammates.
- Relevant experience from an exchange, proprietary trading firm or top tier bank.
- Willingness to participate in the team’s on-call rotation.
- Work in Chicago.
- Entrepreneurial and independent.
Read Full Job Description