Software Engineer Manager - Platform
The DRIVIN Platform Engineering Manager manages a team of software engineers who construct and maintain mission critical applications in direct support of DRIVIN.com business objectives. The ideal candidate for this role has a technical leadership background in addition to a deep understanding of both the practice of development and of online business. The software engineering department is a crucial part of the Product organization and partners closely with business stakeholders to deliver innovative solutions to meet the demands of the business. The engineering department also provides input and expertise used to guide the overall prioritization and scheduling of product technology initiatives.
- Effectively manage a team of approximately 10 - 15 software engineers in all aspects of software development, conduct individual performance reviews, and manage career development for team members.
- Coach, guide, and mentor development team members to ensure proper direction and personal development.
- Primarily responsible for building out expertise in the team’s technical focus area and ensuring that future technical skills requirements are adequately planned for.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to interface effectively with all levels of management, which include business and technical teams.
- Must work effectively with members of cross-functional product development teams including product managers, scrum masters, analysts, and architects on various sized projects and initiatives.
- Effectively coordinate communications between/among cross-functional teams, resolve conflict, and maintain confidentiality.
- Must be a strong team leader and have good interpersonal skills that can foster, demonstrate, and promote excellence in a team environment.
- Reliable, self-motivated, and focused on high quality delivery of work products and willing to accept responsibility and accountability.
- Ability to define and enforce best practices and agreed upon standards, encompassing coding conventions and standards, unit testing strategies, and architectural patterns.
- Contribute to appropriate communities of practice to promote, develop, and mature existing and innovative ways to solve technical problems and improve the product development process.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems (related/commensurate experience acceptable)
- At least 7 years of experience leading development teams and delivering technical solutions.
- At least 5 years of experience leading web and ecommerce development efforts within a highly integrated Java environment.
- Thorough technical understanding of web-based development concepts and web-based applications is mandatory.
- Display a strong proficiency with Java development practices.
- Experience with and understanding of service-oriented architecture (SOA).