At Topstep, individuals fully own their roles and are charged with meaningfully driving results. We work fast and continuously optimize our products to reach more and more traders worldwide.
We’re a small but growing technology team who relies heavily on each member to contribute at each step of the development process, from requirements gathering through to development and feedback. We like to think of ‘problems’ as opportunities, and we’ve got a lot of opportunities to tackle this year! This role is exciting because you will get to own what you do, from making recommendations that help us scale our technology, to enhancing our product by building out development and emotional tools for our traders. You’ll have significant exposure to our customer-facing application, part of which we’re planning to fully redesign this year. If you like working cross-departmentally and having insight and influence on decisions, you’ll love this opportunity. The successful candidate will also have a genuine enthusiasm for entrepreneurship and be able to excel in a fast-paced, high energy start-up environment.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States. Please note, we may not be actively interviewing for this role at this time, so you may not hear from us for awhile. We plan to significantly grow our Tech Team this year, and have found it beneficial to constantly be open to applications.
Excited about this opportunity? Read on, keeping in mind that we strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. Topstep believes that diverse people and ideas result in better business, and we are committed to fostering an inclusive culture where you can thrive.
The Role, along with everything you’d expect...
- The Software Engineer role is an ideal opportunity to join a team which has direct impact on our highest level company priorities
- The role is also a great fit for candidates who want to contribute to scaling our technology and shaping the culture of our tech team
- You’ll work with our product team in an agile fashion to determine the feasibility of new features
- This is a great opportunity to learn about the trading industry and financial markets without the pressure of working directly in it
- You can also learn about how a small company runs and makes decisions. We’re really transparent about everything from leadership decisions to numbers tracking
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience with API Design and Integration. We love REST and building well designed APIs
- Strong proficiency in Databases. Understand how to interact with a DB, write queries, design models, and best practices associated with DB
- Familiarity with CI/CD. We try to build and deploy as often as possible so understanding the basic principles of CI/CD is important
- AWS or similar Cloud experience is a definite plus; please apply even if you don’t have it!
- Familiarity with software engineering design patterns and best practices. Not only do you know the fundamentals and can write amazing code, but you understand and can recommend best practices and common design patterns
- Self-starting mindset is crucial. We don’t hand down perfect spec sheets and expect them to be completed as written. We need your input, recommendations, and initiative
- Communication skills. You love to think about the best ways to solve problems we’re working on, so you have to have the ability to clearly communicate those ideas
- Open-minded and collaborative. Being open to using different tools and willingness to work closely on a team are essential for your happiness and success here
- Ability to use discretion and critical thinking. One of our company values is ‘Empowered people yield great results’, so we’re looking for someone who wants to learn and grow
- Competitive salary and bonus incentives
- 401(k) plus match, to help plan for your future
- Generous paid family leave, plus flexible ramp up period upon return, and extra PTO days
- Access to senior management and mentoring opportunities
- Monthly team Innovation Labs, which contribute to long term strategic decisions
- Vacation bonus, when you take off 5 consecutive days to fully clock out
- #TopstepTravel, a semi-regular raffle for luxury accommodations in a variety of cities
- Professional development budget, provided for continuing education, training, and workshops
- Work from Anywhere policy, to respond to an ever-changing work climate
- Flexible Schedule Options, including 4-day workweek and half day Friday schedules
- Employee Assistance Program, for when you need some professional support in your personal life
- Coming [back] Soon: Company parties and outings, happy hours and catered lunches, breakfast and snack bar
- Coming [back] Soon: Annual company-wide Step Up Day, a day spent giving back to our community
- Graceful Leave Policy
- Casual work environment and dress code
- Summer Friday (flexible) hours
- Opportunities to work from home in Illinois
- Pre-tax spending accounts, for your dependent and health care needs plus transportation
- Paid time off (starting at 15 days, increasing annually), plus paid holidays, paid sick days, and paid volunteer hours
- Medical, dental, vision, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance
Is Topstep the place for you? If so, apply today! We look forward to hearing from you.
TopstepTrader is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, or any other basis protected under the law.