We’re always looking for outstanding candidates interested in working for Narrative Science, though we don’t have any current openings for this particular role. We’d be happy to place your information on file and reach out proactively when an opportunity becomes available - simply apply below.
As part of the Engineering team you will add value to one of these three groups:
Software Development: In the software development group, you will develop innovative products by building software quickly and iteratively in an agile environment. You will release your software in production to our customers, and you will monitor and maintain it to provide an exceptional customer experience. You will work directly with Product to drive our roadmap and vision forward.
QA: Our Software Engineers in Test work closely with the development team doing code reviews, developing test automation & coding test frameworks within a continuous deployment and Agile environment. Our team develops automation tests using a BDD (behavior driven development) framework and in native python. Other areas of focus of the team are testing non-functional areas of the system such as performance and security. When they find the time and have a reason, there is exploratory testing of developed features the SDET’s are responsible for.
DevOps: The DevOps team is a group of engineers who are responsible for NS’ security, infrastructure, cloud computing, networking and deployments. You will work together with, and support, all NS engineering and business operations.
- Propose solutions and software designs to meet product goals
- Develop high quality maintainable software
- Test your code in our integration environment
- Seek code reviews and code review your peers’ work
- Identify, design and develop automation solutions to improve team efficiency
- Own certain components or systems, and continuously work to improve them
- Dive deep to resolve problems at their root, looking for failure patterns and suggesting fixes
- Support your products running in production
- Participate in projects that improve the performance and usability of our product portfolio
- Work in an agile team, including sprint planning, daily standups and user story estimation
- Be an ambassador for the team to both our internal and external clients
- A Bachelor's degree or 2-3 years of professional software development experience
- Fluent in at least one programming language with the ability and interest to pick up additional
- Proven software-related project experience
- Understands the end-to-end software development process
- Experience working with web technologies
- Examples of results through delivery
- Experience with relational databases, i.e. postgresql
- Passion for improving code quality and development processes
- Experience developing in Unix systems
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
- Proven capability for critical thinking, problem solving and the patience to see hard problems through to the end with our clients
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Willingness to partner with a wide variety of people from diverse backgrounds, including engineering, product and professional services team members
You will do well in this role if you:
Love making practical changes and seeing your products in use. Someone who wants to create an exceptional customer experience will fit in well on our team, meaning you naturally like to find solutions to problems and in general enjoy helping people in any way you can. You take delight in debugging unfamiliar problems. The desire to keep learning is embedded in your skill set. We don’t need you to have experience with everything yet, but individuals that want to keep learning and challenge themselves thrive in this environment.
About Narrative Science:
Narrative Science creates software that writes stories from enterprise data to drive understanding and results. Powered by artificial intelligence, our technology automatically turns data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge. Narrative Science works with customers including Deloitte, MasterCard, USAA, and members of the U.S. intelligence community, empowering them to understand and act on key business metrics, make better decisions, and focus talent on higher-value tasks -- all through the power of data storytelling.
At Narrative Science, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our future employees, colleagues, customers, partners and other stakeholders. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.