SOFTWARE ENGINEERING MANAGER-REMOTE at Caterpillar
At Caterpillar, we’re delighted to be making a significant investment in our leadership team for our Salesforce capabilities. We have an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Software Engineering Manager. The Software Engineering Manager provides leadership in design, development, deployment, and support of Caterpillar’s state-of-the-art digital platform. This position is accountable for hiring, managing and mentoring a team or multiple teams of software engineers in delivering the common department goals in line with CAT Digital Strategy. The Software Engineering Manager will lead the team that will build a world class platform to host a wide range of applications.
JOB RELATED STATISTICS:
Revenue Impact: $ $0.5-1B.
Operating Budget: $2-4M
Caterpillar Headcount: 5-8
Agency/Consulting Headcount: 5-10
Responsibilities include supervising teams and projects related to developing business and technical solutions and implementing common operating procedures to provide process functionality and the requisite infrastructure to enable effective, efficient, economical services. Directs implementation of software infrastructure components to maximize common process and minimize costs by efficiently controlling the infrastructure environment.
The position supports the CAT Digital strategy, recognizes the service requirements/needs of dealers and customers, corporate and business unit goals, and gives input to leadership in formulating global concepts, strategies and plans to deliver service solutions.
Typical internal customers include various contacts throughout Caterpillar worldwide and its subsidiaries.
External contacts include various customers, dealers, and vendors throughout worldwide markets. The position is challenged to carefully evaluate problems and provide input into a large number of possible solutions before selecting one option. Problems may be complex and can require the incumbent to develop and monetize new solutions. The incumbent follows general policies and guidelines for projects under his/her control to ensure specific, management goals are met and desired results are achieved. Impacts key quality goals including Customer Satisfaction, Continuous Improvement, and Reoccurring
Revenue, Timeliness, Accuracy, Efficiency, Cost Savings, Process Quality, etc.
The position supervises a work unit of primarily management/professional employees where some review of subordinate work is required as well as training, development and mentoring. The position is responsible for all personnel issues and performance evaluation of subordinates, as well as overall employee satisfaction for the division.
Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- 10+ years of progressively complex software development experience or at least eight years of experience with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
- 3+ years of experience in managing software development teams.
- 3+ years of experience in public cloud technologies such as Salesforce, AWS or Azure.
Top candidates will also have:
- 3+ years working with the Salesforce Ecosystem.
- Demonstrated leadership on medium to large-scale projects impacting strategic priorities.
- Ability to cope with shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, delegate responsibilities and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven experience in many of the following,
- Designing, developing, deploying in a SaaS environment.
- Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as AutoRabit, Jenkins, ADO, etc.
- Knowledge with Salesforce core products: Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, Community Cloud, Marketing Cloud, etc.
- Knowledge with Salesforce App Exchange products: AutoRabit, Checkmarx, OwnBackup, etc.
- Experience with middleware products and API strategies.
- Understanding of Declarative vs. Imperative programming
- Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
- Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum).
- Debugging and maintaining software.
- Strong understanding and/or experience in test driven development and behavior driven development.
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints.
- Passion for technology and innovation.
The preferred location is Peoria, IL or Chicago, IL, Dallas, TX, but remote work within the United States is available for the right candidate.
#LI-RemoteVisa sponsorship available for eligible applicants.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .