Sr. DevOps Engineer
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Grainger is North America's leading Maintenance Repair & Operations provider and E-commerce platform.
As a member of the Enterprise Systems team, you will have the exciting opportunity to build technical solutions to support the dynamic needs of a supply chain carrying 1.5 million products and an employee base of over 25 thousand.
The team, comprising of Infrastructure and Operations, Cyber Security, Technology Planning, Architecture and Engineering, supports over 1000 applications across the network and operates in an agile environment to deliver complex solutions quickly and seamlessly.
The Infrastructure Engineer is responsible for administering infrastructure and applications integral to Grainger. These systems include, but are not limited to ERP system modules & related applications, e-commerce platforms, middleware products, standalone business applications, cloud-provided applications, databases, configuration management tools, and monitoring tools. You will deploy and maintain systems critical to Grainger’s business operations, including order processing and supply chain management.
Infrastructure engineering tasks include installation, configuration, license management, access management, upgrading / patching, troubleshooting and performance tuning of application and infrastructure components. The Infrastructure Engineer is accountable for maintaining an environment that is well documented, sustainable, and conforms to all established technology development and implementation processes to meet Service Level Objectives and customer expectations. Provide operational insights and alternatives as participants in the planning and architecture processes for any new Grainger infrastructure software component or business application.
- Research and resolve current and potential problems with any supported software product residing on any supported server in the Grainger infrastructure in a timely and proactive manner.
- Coordinate application security access as to meet SOX and PCI compliance requirements.
- Perform and verify required maintenance for system software and hardware in a timely and proactive manner.
- Identify and implement system improvements.
- Research new technologies and products.
- Develop innovative solutions to emerging challenges within Grainger’s systems.
- Manage system documentation to ensure the complete and timely system maintenance.
- Fully support and utilize all established system management processes and practices (e.g. Change, Problem, Test, and Configuration management).
- Ensure 100% compliance with SOX requirements and assessment targets. Complete SOX testing and action plans, if applicable, within the established due dates.
We believe you
- Can effectively communicate and clarify technical issues to software suppliers and to business stakeholders
- Can maintain high availability and team oriented 24x7 support capabilities.
- Can multi-task in a very fast-paced environment.
- Can resolve complex problems.
- Have excellent teamwork, communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Are a self-starter and take initiative in critical situations.
- Can complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent related experience.
- Three years of Cloud experience (prefer AWS) in production and non-production environments
- Familiarity with Terraform, Packer, Vagrant, Docker and Ansible
- Experience developing and maintaining CI/CD pipelines.
- Minimum of two years experience with Unix, Linux, or Windows Application support.
- Familiarity with computing infrastructures, including Data Security, Help Desk, Operations, Network Computing, Database and Application Development.
- Knowledge of Unix, Linux, and Windows Operating System fundamentals, system virtualization techniques and products, system design, administration, and scripting languages.
“Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.”