Sr. Director of Platform Infrastructure
The Platform Infrastructure group at SPINS is responsible for: storage, data infrastructure, observability systems, SRE, provisioning, compute, orchestration platform, build/test/deploy, and internal tools and services - all of the components that make up the SPINS Platform.
We are seeking a Sr. Director of Platform Infrastructure to lead this group. The ideal candidate has a proven track record building large, scalable infrastructure, is a creative thinker, problem solver, teacher, learner, and is—first and foremost—a fantastic manager of people. This position reports to the CTO.
What You'll Do
- Coach and mentor sysadmins as well as act as an individual contributor. Although you have a strong background in technology, and could do it yourself, you will embrace delegating well and appropriately.
- Champion teams company-wide to become best-in-class in cloud-based software development while promoting approaches that at their core greatly improve customer experience (OS abstraction, right-sized capacity and scalability, global caching, A/B testing and deployment, simplifying environments, and rapid recovery).
- Shepherd for our customers a highly redundant, scalable, SaaS data cloud infrastructure.
- Own the build & deploy lifecycle; drastically reduce build, deploy & rollback times while simultaneously reducing risk and exposure.
- Own the execution, tracking, and delivery of SPINS services, as well as identifying additional KPIs for delivering a first-class platform.
- Help lead the transformation from our legacy monolith infrastructure to a modern scalable service-based system we have already started working on.
- Drive efficiency of scale while preparing our systems to support 10+ times current capacity more efficiently.
What You Bring
- Passionate about building an inclusive platform infrastructure culture, with teammates that are both eager to learn and deeply curious.
- An experienced technology leader - leading, establishing, and managing enterprise DevOps, Kubernetes, CI/CD solutions, automation and configuration management.
- A leader with a proven track record of successfully delivering large-scale services on public clouds such as AWS, but GCP preferred.
- A Director level manager and have led multiple teams
- A strong people manager and experienced at growing doers to become better. Your growing your management / leadership skills are just as important as your tech skills to you.
- Solid with Infrastructure as code tools and config management tools.
- Experienced managing and developing remote teams and workers, you can demonstrate the specialist leadership traits that enable world class remote teams to thrive globally.
- An excellent communicator, with the ability to simplify key messages, present compelling stories and promote technical and personal credibility with internal and external stakeholders.
- Deeply familiar with understanding distributed system design, micro service architecture, containers and dependency management. You will understand how teams need to work to manage this inherent complexity
- Comfortable with:SAS 70, SSAE 16, SOC, GDPR, ITIL, PII standards.
You Probably Have
- Java, Bash, Python, Go, and/or PowerShell
- Git / VCS (Version Control System)
- Terraform, ideally, or deep experience with one or more of the following: Ansible, Packer, Puppet, Chef
- Google Cloud (GCP), ideally, or Azure or Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- CI/CD tool management (e.g., Team City, Bamboo, Concourse)
- Basic database instance administration and SQL querying skills
- Kubernetes cluster support and operation using GKE, EKS, and/or AKS
- Log and Event management platforms such as Splunk, Datadog, Honeycomb
The following traits are important to us and will help you be successful in this role:
- Desire to continuously improve
- Adept at learning and applying new technologies
- Desire to share what you learn for the benefit of the broader team
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills
The SPINS Way
- Direct – We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined – We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate – We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative – We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.
If we haven’t convinced you to join us yet, this just might! Sure we have a great benefit program but SPINS also offers its team members:
- Company subsidized commuter transit program
- Gym, bike storage and showers onsite
- Fresh and healthy snacks daily
- Vibrancy 360 Wellness Program: Free yoga and fitness classes, onsite massage, volunteer opportunities, client product demos, outings, and more.