Sr. Email Data Specialist
Sr. Email Data Specialist
As Sr. Email Data Specialist, you will solve complex technical data challenges such as integrating multiple data systems via multiple protocols. Your knowledge of databases, programming languages, and web technologies will allow you to translate business requirements into detailed data storage system designs in order to bring both trigger and transactional emails in-house through optimal ETL processes. You will be responsible for testing, troubleshooting and auditing before and after the ETL processes go live. You will work closely with IT/ES resources to design, implement and QA the email team’s ETL process. In addition, you will support email production work and be the team’s main liaison when it comes to the email team’s data warehouse structure and data sources. You will play a key role when transitioning to a different ESP if that occurs.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Gain in-depth knowledge of current Grainger data warehouse structure and data sources as they relate to email marketing processes
- Analyze and digest what the email team wants to accomplish with its data and design and maintain optimal ETL process to support data hierarchy for trigger and transactional emails.
- Translate email ETL business requirements into detailed data storage system designs
- Communicate business needs, goals and design requirements clearly and efficiently with IT/ES partners
- Manage successful receipt and processing of required data files to support the ETL process. Develop audit processes to alert team of failures.
- Test and troubleshoot data storage system designs before going live
- Support the development of customer-centric email strategies based on data driven customer needs, company goals, and analytics in line with Email Marketing Team strategy.
- Collaborate with digital marketing, content and design teams to build and optimize email executions that will both fulfill the customer need and advance business and marketing objectives
- Manage seamless end-to-end email campaign production and execution, including KPI identification, campaign set up, list segmentation, automated trigger campaigns, deployment and reporting.
- Manage troubleshooting of HTML rendering and coding issues to optimize inbox email delivery.
- Manage email deliverability, ensuring high inbox deliverability rate for all email campaigns. Ensure adherence to email best practices to achieve this.
- Execute customer-centric email strategies to improve overall channel performance, including creative optimization, A/B Split testing, and developing automated and triggered campaigns.
- Remain current and informed on industry trends, new offerings and interactive technologies with emphasis on email personalization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Technical Equivalent
- 4+ years of experience in high volume email marketing, preferably B2B, using a top tier ESP (e.g. Epsilon, Responsys, or Salesforce/Exact Target)
- HTML/CSS, Java, Scripting/Programming, XML, open source - intermediate to advanced level preferable
- Advanced SQL development & ETL design, implementation and testing experience
- Extensive experience troubleshooting and solving complex technical problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – ability to articulate and convey technical concepts to both business and IT/ES partners
- Working knowledge of responsive design, dynamic content and email best practices.
- Experience testing email message rendering across email clients, browsers and computer/mobile devices
- Experience with segmentation, high-volume list pull, and email delivery processes
- Able to exhibit strong collaborative and team working skills, including providing constructive input in a team environment.
- Comfortable with fast-paced working environment; and work under pressure with tight deadlines
- Proactive, can-do approach to problem-solving. Solutions consider outside-of-the-box alternatives.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.