Sr. Engineering Manager, Data Warehouse
Parsing and analyzing vast amounts of data is a centrally important part of Groupon’s business: it helps us gain better insights into our customers’ needs as well as understand our own processes and identify ways in which we can improve. Our Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) is the heart of this system and we are looking for someone to join us as our Data Engineering Manager and help us shape the growth of this business-critical function.
The Right Person for the Job
As our Data Engineering Manager, you are a core part of our team responsible for managing the data needs of various business lines. You will be responsible for the quality and on time delivery of data as well developing new solutions in Teradata and multi petabyte Hadoop platforms.
Groupon is an ever-changing, evolving place to work and sometimes that can mean ambiguity. But you’re a problem solver at heart and someone who is creative in conceptualizing and defining innovative data opportunities. A natural leader who takes the initiative, your skills lie in communicating a clear vision, building consensus across multi-functional teams and cutting through the roadblocks to deliver the results every time. At Groupon we value divergence of thought, so we want someone who is prepared to push back and question the status quo when needed. Is this you?
If you’re interested in putting your stamp on how we manage our data streams, and if Groupon sounds like somewhere you’d be at home, then get in touch.
- Build and lead a high performance engineering team;
- Build, own and support global and extremely high performance scalable ETL systems;
- Design, Develop, Implement ETL framework for Enterprise DW system.
- Coordinate and Collaborate with ETL team and business users to implement all ETL procedures for all new projects and maintain effective awareness of all production activities according to the required standards and provide support to all existing applications.
- Recruit and retain excellent engineers, inspire them to hit short-term targets and lead them in planning for long-term growth;
- Perform roadmap planning, and Project and Resource management;
- Participate in product technical designs and architectural reviews, effectively communicate with stakeholders and peers;
- Mentor junior employees;
- Set strategic direction for areas you are responsible for and consistently achieve the goals for your areas.
Keep abreast of the tools, techniques and components being used in the industry through research and applies this knowledge to the system(s) being developed.
Hands-on experience with all aspects of designing, developing, testing and implementing ETL solutions
Packaging and release management.
Working knowledge with MPP systems
Knowledge of data modeling and designing databases
Ability to work in a fast paced environment on several projects
Solid understanding of SDLC, software best practices and Agile development methodologies
Strong analytical and diagnostic skills
Good knowledge of metadata, and using/managing metadata
Ability to develop and organize high-quality documentation
Working knowledge on Linux/Unix Operating systems
Hands on experience in Database technologies like Oracle, Mysql , Teradata or likes.
Strong scripting skills - python ( a big plus ), Perl , shell etc.
Knowledge of Big data systems - Hadoop , pig, hive, shark/spark etc. a big plus.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems or related field or foreign academic equivalent plus 6 years related experience.
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.