Sr. Software Engineer
ABOUT AUGMENTED INTELLIGENCE: Augmented Intelligence seeks to transform the social services sector by unlocking the power of artificial intelligence and natural language processing (NLP) to improve operations and practice, drive quality improvements, and help social services agencies more effectively partner with healthcare systems to improve the wellbeing of their communities.
JOB SUMMARY: We are looking for our first engineer to join our Chicago office and help take our products from prototype to V1. User experience (UX) is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. Our designers work hand-in-hand with product managers, software engineers and others to solve complex challenges and craft powerful experiences. Our products have grand ambitions to improve the world, but every initiative begins with a humble, genuine effort to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to yield insights that inform product strategy and guide the design of the experiences we create.
- You’ll work as part of an autonomous team including other engineers, a product manager, a designer and a data scientist.
- Together, you’ll set goals, design solutions and deliver them at high-quality.
- As one of our earliest team members, you’ll participate in expanding our team, and will be a leader as we grow our ranks.
- You have 3+ years of experience in early-stage companies.
- You are accomplished in both front- and back-end web development.
- You have experience working collaboratively and fluidly with designers and building modern, polished front-end experiences with React or the like.
- You have experience building out modern app back-ends with Django, Rails, etc.
- You have experience working with data scientists, getting the infrastructure in place to train enormous models using PyTorch/Tensorflow and leveraging GPUs, and then putting those models into production.
- You have experience architecting and operating a cloud-based system that’s able to securely and reliably house highly sensitive information.
- Even if you are lacking in domain experience in social services, you are excited to use your powers for good, and you recognize that that will entail quickly becoming fluent in the domain.
- You can thrive in an iterative, fast-paced development process.
- You play well cross-disciplinarily, and collaborate well with designers, product managers, and clients.
- You are passionate about developing deep empathy for all user and stakeholders—from end-users to administrative or IT stakeholders—and for spreading that empathy with others in our organization who are less customer-connected.
- You are excited about participating in product discovery. You love being on the occasional customer call, working to frame problems (not just solve them), and helping whiteboard solutions. You are comfortable flipping between “let’s write rock-solid production code” and “let’s learn quickly with a cheap fast prototype” modes as appropriate.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of transforming the way that human services agencies serve and improve the wellbeing of their communities.