What We Do
Uptake helps industrial companies digitally transform with open, purpose-built software that delivers outcomes that matter. Built on a foundation of data science and machine learning, our vision is to create a world that always works — one where the machines and equipment we depend on daily don’t break, and industrial companies are once again the creators of economic growth and opportunity.
What you’ll do:
As a Staff Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the architecture of a complex analytics platform that is already changing the way large industrial companies manage their assets. A Staff Engineer understands cutting-edge tools and frameworks, and is able to determine what the best tools are for any given task. You will enable and work with our other developers to use cutting-edge technologies in the fields of distributed systems, user interfaces, data ingestion, and machine learning, to name a few. We also strongly encourage Staff Engineers to tinker with existing tools, and to stay up to date and test new technologies—all with the aim of ensuring that our existing systems don’t stagnate or deteriorate.
As a Staff Engineer, your responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Create modern front end applications that include dashboards and visualizations
- Build resilient and scalable streaming applications that can handle data in real time
- Ingest, transform and enhance data at web scale
- Develop a web services based platform that can grow with the business
- Establish automated build and deployment pipelines
- Productionize machine learning models that enable customers to glean hidden insights about their data
- Reduce cost across multiple projects and teams by driving reuse, finding common architecture and integrating with existing systems
- Continually improve quality through automated testing strategies and processes
- Increase developer efficiency through coaching and creation of tools and frameworks
- Prevent architectural drift and proactively manage tech debt
- Participate in customer meetings to develop solutions to meet client needs and business expectations
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 9+ years of system building experience
- 5+ years of programming experience using JVM based languages
- 2+ years experience using a modern front end framework such as Vue.js, Angular, React, Node.js or equivalent
- A passion for DevOps and an appreciation for continuous integration/deployment
- A passion for QA and an understanding that testing is not someone else’s responsibility
- Outstanding programming and problem solving skills
- Strong passion for technology and building great systems
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work using Agile methodologies
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience with service-oriented (SOA) and event-driven (EDA) architectures
- Experience with noSQL data stores such as Cassandra, HDFS and/or Elasticsearch
- Experience with relational databases such as Postgres
We value these qualities, but they’re not required for this role:
- Masters or Ph.D. in related field
- Experience as an open source contributor
- Experience engaging directly with customers
- Experience with Akka, stream processing technologies and concurrency frameworks
- Experience with Data modeling
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt or equivalent
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with distributed messaging services, preferably Kafka
- Experience with distributed data processors, preferably Spark or Flink
- Experience with Reactive and/or Functional programming
- Understanding of Thrift, Avro or protocol buffers
Why Work Here
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We’re flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We’re also proud to be one of Chicago’s best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.