Staff Infrastructure Engineer at Legacy.com
Company and Opportunity
Legacy.com is the place where life stories live on. We are the leader in online obituaries; a top-50 website in the United States, and a destination for over 40 million unique visitors each month. Founded in 1998, Legacy.com is honored to help consumers express condolences, share direct support for families, and celebrate the people who have touched their lives. We continue to broaden our offerings in our mission to help people seeking information and guidance on all aspects of end-of-life. Our leadership is actively investing in the growth of the organization, expanding our business model and helping more people as our culture’s relationship with end-of-life evolves. Our vision is to become a full-service end-of-life and memorialization resource.
The Staff Infrastructure Engineer will be responsible for leading and implementing the technical direction of the Infrastructure Engineering team. This is a hands-on, individual contributor role that will require working on a cross-functional team and skill-focused team. Infrastructure Engineering is responsible for the provisioning, configuration, performance and monitoring of secure, highly available platforms, servers, services and networks. Infrastructure Engineers assist the Software Engineering, Systems Engineering and Platform Operations teams by creating processes that enable the rapid deployment of software through automated processes.
The ideal candidate has experience along the following dimensions:
- Design and Develop / Hands on experience with automated server, service, system, container or platform provisioning in a Cloud environment for Windows and Linux hosts. An understanding of distributed computing and distributed systems. Familiarity with CAP (Consistency, Availability Partition Tolerance) Principle.
- Collaboration and Teamwork / Experience working with Software Development teams that are releasing code in high volume and at high velocity.
- Maintenance and Server Management / Regularly patch and update critical systems or base images. Understanding of configuration management, logging, monitoring and automated provisioning.
- Performance Monitoring, Troubleshooting and Capacity Planning / Understands server, service, system, container, or platform monitoring in a Cloud environment for Windows and Linux hosts. Identifies and escalates issues. Forecasts utilization of services and identifies potential bottlenecks or modifications. Familiarity with Incident Command Systems (ICS).
- Security, Privacy and BCMS / Experience with the following frameworks NIST SP 800-122 (Guide to Protecting Personally Identifiable Information), ISO-27001 (Corporate Information Security Policy), ISO-22301 (Business Continuity Management System), PCI DSS 3.x (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard), GDPR (EU General Data Protection Regulation), CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act). Experience with penetration testing and Certified Ethical Hacker security approach.
- Leadership and Team Development / Ability to mentor direct and indirect peers.
- Infrastructure Testing / Apply test driven development patterns, where appropriate to hardware and software elements
- Service Level Agreements / Experience working in an environment with service level agreements attached to services, servers, networks or platforms.
- Experience and understanding of how modern web applications are developed and deployed in distributed Cloud based platforms.
- Experience with Software Engineering best practices, including source control management, test driven development, code review, and modular/domain driven design. Expertise in a programming language like Java, Python, Ruby, .NET/C# or Go.
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure and Cloud distributed systems. Familiarity with Cloud providers – experience with Amazon Web Services is preferred.
- Experience with System Administration and Configuration Management of Linux and Windows hosts. Exposure or experience with software like Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Terraform or Gruntworks.
- Experience with containerization and container orchestration. Exposure or experience with Docker, Docker Swarm or Kubernetes.
- Excellent communicator (written and verbal). Highly self-motivated, self-directed, resourceful and autonomous. Comfortable working in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly and efficiently pinpoint and resolve problematic system issues.
- 5+ years’ experience in the IT, Infrastructure, System or Software Engineering.
- Experience supporting critical infrastructure in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience managing full-time staff.
- Experience with cloud environments, AWS and Azure in particular, orchestration and container-based deployments.
- Experience with continuous delivery and building a path to achieving it.
- Extensive knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Exposure to Agile Development or the Scrum project management methodology a plus.
Legacy.com offers a very generous and comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 401k plan with discretionary employer match
- Parking/Transit Flex Spending
- RTA and CTA pre-tax payroll deductions
- Catered lunch provided 2x per week, breakfast 1x a week
- 2 weeks of paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Casual dress every day
- Daily, company-provided coffee, tea, soda, and snacks
- Friendly, team-oriented, open environment
- Located within a few blocks of CTA, Ogilvie, and Union Station