The Service Engineering team at Groupon is responsible for building and maintaining our core operations infrastructure. As a key member of the global production operations team, you will be responsible for building, maintaining, and improving foundational infrastructure: DNS, DHCP, load balancing, service discovery, configuration management, and more.
The successful candidate will be versatile, with an extensive unix systems engineering background with deep knowledge of linux internals (kernel/libraries, filesystems, package management, etc.), experience working with many open source technologies (nginx, splunk, nagios, mysql, postgres, git, memcache, redis and ldap are some examples), and work well with a globally distributed team spanning multiple time zones. An understanding of what it means to own a problem, focus on tasks and ability to filter out distractions, and a process mindset are essential skills.
What are some examples of Production Operations work at Groupon?
- Work with engineering teams on design & implementation of new software deployments
- Use your ESP to determine what is going to break and when
- Automate, wash, rinse, repeat
- Act as an advocate for adoption of best practices in system design and support standards
- BS or MS in computer science or engineering, or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years as a systems engineer or administrator in a unix environment
- Ability to script / write tools in some high level language (ruby, python, go, etc)
- Deep understanding of linux system internals
- Extensive knowledge of open source web/mobile technologies
- Experience in an enterprise-scale production environment with uptime requirements and process
- Systems automation with a common open source framework (ansible, puppet, chef, cfengine, etc)
- Understanding of the role, function, and operation of common infrastructure components like load balancers, firewalls, routers, switches
- A deeper understanding and experience with load balancers would be particularly useful
- Demonstrable experience seeing projects through to completion, ideally one that required working with developers in different parts of the company
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.