VP of Engineering
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Civis Analytics is looking for a VP of Engineering to join our team!
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of best-in-class proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Reporting to the CTO, the VP of Engineering guides technology direction for Civis and collaborates with product leaders to create innovative products on time. The VP is responsible for the day-to-day team, people management and leadership duties of the entire engineering department at Civis. Ultimately, success in this role will be measured by the company’s ability to meet the evolving needs of its customers and set the pace of product innovation for the market. Under the VP's direction, the engineering organization at Civis will build on the department’s ability to attract, engage and retain the most talented engineers and motivate them to do the best work of their careers.
To learn more about our culture, check out Civis Analytics on The Muse!
- Guide technical vision and architecture decisions, setting priorities and communicating necessary trade-offs. Takes appropriate risks for technical debt and defines a clear strategy for paying it down. Ensures teams ship on-time, high-quality products.
- Collaborate across departments to set priorities, expectations and budgets. Use feedback and understanding of goals to build and prioritize a roadmap for our Data Science Platform.
- Drive best practice sharing across teams around methodology, documentation and technology decisions including; testing, deploying, and developing code. Encourage and enforce the right behaviors to ensure Civis delivers.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of the team. Develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals. Grow the next set of leaders. Hold all team members accountable for results. Embrace difficult performance conversations with the goal of improving the overall team.
- Design and implement organizational structures to ensure optimal performance and resource allocation. Allocate team members and resources across different product groups as required to meet company/product goals.
- Ensure that efforts and energy align with clearly articulated goals of the company. Build culture of transparency and data-driven intra-team communication to ensure smooth operation and clarity. Make sure that all members of the team understand the “why” as well as the “what”. Represent the point of view of the technical organization across other business stakeholder groups.
- Meet with candidates, interview, build relationships and align other stakeholders on the desired qualities of candidates (and how to screen for these). Civis Analytics is focused on the rapid hiring of high-quality talent and high acceptance rate of offers.
- Proven track record/success delivering Enterprise Software and applications at scale.
- Motivated, positive, and highly engaged hands on leader.
- Ability to operate and deliver results on time and on budget.
- Experience and ability to thrive in fast-paced, high-growth and dynamic environments.
- 10+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 6+ hands-on technical management experience.
- Experience leading managers and engineers at all levels, skilled at guiding them through their career development.
- Has technical background and is able to contribute to planning and design discussions.
- Familiar with the Civis tech stack (Ruby, AWS, React or AngularJS, Spark, Docker).
- Experience implementing organizational processes to ensure that the team delivers on their responsibilities.
- Can think strategically but act and lead tactically, sometimes in ambiguous contexts.
- Experience creating organizational alignment to get the entire team working towards the same vision while still understanding their unique role in delivering upon "the game plan".
- Bias-to-action and data-supported results.
- Experience building teams and products that scale.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment, and committed to driving projects.
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, backed by experience with both internal and external audience