Root is seeking a Finance professional willing to roll up their sleeves and tackle a wide array of financial business problems through rigorous analysis and effective communication. As an Analyst on the Root Department FP&A Team, you will play an integral role in establishing best practices around strategic capital deployment, financial modeling, budget development and management, and in-depth ad hoc analysis. You will work to build strong cross-functional relationships, drive strategic insights, provide key decision support, and play a critical role in department budget management. You will be put in a position to leverage exceptional quantitative and effective communication skills to drive the direction of the business. The right candidate will be intellectually curious and eager to add value in a fast-paced Finance environment.
What you’ll be doing.
- Partner cross-functionally to help translate company strategies into financial goals
- Establish strong partnerships with business leaders and their team, playing a critical role on cross-functional teams for key projects and analysis
- Build & maintain robust financial modeling tools and reporting to analyze current business performance, effectively communicating performance to business partners, ultimately driving business growth and profitability
- Perform financial analysis that aids in the decision-making process and helps improve the profitability of our current business as well as adequately assesses new business opportunities
- Proactively look for ways to better understand business performance, leveraging new information to help improve visibility into key performance indicators and forecasting accuracy
- Regularly communicate and collaborate with business partners
- Conduct ad-hoc analysis in support of strategic initiatives
What we’re looking for.
- 3+ years of work experience in Finance or finance-related function - a background in FP&A, Business Partner Finance, or Strategic Planning is preferred
- A bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Business, or a related quantitative field
- Experience in enterprise-class planning tools (e.g. Oracle PBCS, Anaplan, SAP) is required. Experience writing SQL queries and an understanding of data warehouse structures is a plus
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and a proven ability to effectively communicate complex financial concepts, analytical outputs, and business recommendations to a senior leadership audience
- Extensive experience building sophisticated financial models from scratch, in Excel or in other planning applications required. Knowledge of Python, R, or other statistical analysis tools is a plus.
- Innate desire to continuously explore, learn, and exercise intellectual curiosity
- Great attention to detail
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.