Associate, Business Development - Financial and Professional Services at SPINS LLC
What you will do.
SPINS Financial and Professional Services Group is the premier solutions and insights group for the Natural Products Industry. We work with leading investors and professional service firms to bring the best of SPINS in support of their investment thesis, merger & acquisition strategies, capital raises, portfolio support, client engagements as well as develop strategic partnerships.
The team uses SPINS industry-leading Natural, Organic, and Specialty Products Retail Market Information in combination with robust consumer information, analytics and strategic analyses to generate powerful insights. Comprised of experienced and entrepreneurial CPG, Retail and Financial professionals, the team is dedicated to delivering unparalleled products and service solutions to financial and strategic institutions. This high visibility, high impact part of our business builds and shapes how today’s leading investors and strategic partners leverage SPINS’ for sourcing brands, due diligence and brand growth for one of the fastest growing industries in today’s market.
SPINS Financial and Professional Services Group distinguishes ourselves’ in the marketplace by providing unbeatable client services and unparalleled solutions specifically designed for our audiences. The Associate will be the domain expert pertaining to SPINS product and service solutions for Financial & Professional Service Firms. This will include ensuring a best-in-class customer experience, as well as uncovering opportunities to enhance or create new SPINS solutions that can be leveraged to drive growth. As such, the Associate position is a key cornerstone role within the department focused specially our core points of difference.
The position reports to the SPINS Financial and Professional Services Group - Managing Director, will be based in our Chicago office, and may require up to 25% travel
Business Development (50%)
- Inbound Business Development
- Hold discovery conversations with prospects and clients to identify opportunities between their needs and SPINS capabilities.
- Brief leadership on opportunity, solution & pricing recommendation, path-to-win
- Track & close opportunities, entering won contracts in Salesforce
- Follow-through to ensure strong delivery of contracted solutions
- Build relationship and desire to enhance partnership with SPINS
- Outbound Business Development
- Develop strategies to grow revenue in new customer segments, such as smaller PE/VC firms, Investment Banks, CPG M&A, Consulting Firms and Other Professional Service Organizations
- Identify target prospects
- Define winning product & service solution offerings
- Define pricing & partnership strategy to win
- Build outbound marketing & sales strategy
- Drive conversion of leads in concert with wider Financial Partners team
Customer Success (50%)
- New Partners
- Lead product-related on-boarding, training and service needs
- Provide a 24-hour turnaround on due diligence data requested by the client
- Troubleshoot product/data issues as needed
- Existing Partners
- Update customer success dashboards quarterly – product success, service success, portfolio impact/success
- Deliver rich client experience that leads to long-term partner and client partnership renewals.
- Identify, synthesize, and convert client feedback into new product & service solutions or enhancements
- Collaborate across SPINS’ product & service teams to realize these innovations
What you bring.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Management, Entrepreneurship, or Brand Marketing / Market Research
- 2+ years of post-Bachelor’s experience in one of the following areas
- Finance - Investment Banking, Private Equity
- Sales / Business Development - ideally servicing financial institutions
- Market Research - at service provider or in-house in a Private Equity or CPG
- Management Consulting - ideally servicing financial institutions or CPGs
- Strong proficiency with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) is required
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to engage with clients at all levels - from Analyst to Managing Director
- Ability to listen hard, discover client goals, and identify relevant solutions
- Ability to understand the customer mindset and offer solutions
- Strong research, analysis and critical thinking skills
- Strong POS data / market research understanding a must
- Strong financial acumen a big plus
- Passion for consumer & technology innovation
- Passion for the natural products and health & wellness industries
- Passion for creating products that solve clients, partners and targets business questions
- Ability to proactively identify potential client concerns and quickly provide resolutions with minimal guidance
- Comfort with complexity
- Curious desire to find the answer / solution wherever that may come from
- Effective at self and client-management
- Well-developed interpersonal, organizational and project management skills
- Time management, being able to manage one's own time and the time of others
- Inherently savvy and skilled at leveraging business relationships at all levels within the organization
When we began working remotely a year ago due to COVID, we committed to keeping our healthy and active SPINS culture. This remained a high priority for us as we grew our employee population by nearly 20% while we worked remotely. We listen to employee feedback as we plan when and how we will return to the office in the future. For now, we can’t have some of our favorite in-office perks (plenty of snacks, onsite gym, and bike storage), we’ve continued to find ways to stay true to SPINS:
- Virtual yoga, HIIT, and Kinstretch classes each week
- Each employee is allotted paid time to use to volunteer with an organization of their choice and charitable donations are matched.
- Stay connected with other SPINS employees for a weekly PELOTON ride together
- CEO Connect, a monthly informal small group Q&A session with our top leader
- Direct – We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined – We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate – We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative – We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.