Bookkeeper at Civis Analytics
What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
As a Bookkeeper, you will be responsible for a variety of financial and accounting tasks, including bookkeeping, accounts payable, and additional ad-hoc projects. Additionally, you will be responsible for managing our vendor and customer databases, including collecting, analyzing and updating the data. This position reports to our Accounting Manager and is located in our Chicago headquarters. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Enter vendor invoices in our accounting system and prepare payments
- Process and approve employee purchase requests and travel and expense reimbursements
- Maintain vendor files
- Prepare journal entries for payroll and reimbursements
- Perform reconciliations of various accounts
- Assist in month-end and year-end close requests
- Make bank deposits
- Additional ad-hoc projects assisting Accounting manager
- 1-3 years of Bookkeeping experience
- Understanding of Accounts Payable activities
- Proficiency with Netsuite or similar accounting software
- Advanced MS Office skills particularly Excel
- Ability to manage financial data in a confidential and professional manner
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter
- Proven ability to multitask and work well under pressure in a fast-paced team environment
- Strong organizational and analytical skills with attention to detail
- US work authorization
- Relevant work experience in accounting or finance
- Knowledge of GAAP
- Experience in a startup environment
- Experience in the technology industry
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- Modern office, conveniently located in the Loop. Close to public transportation, great restaurants and beautiful city views.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW