Controller at Buildout, Inc.
Everything we do at Buildout starts and ends with our people, and our customers, and our product is an important part of our community of people.
In our company, we value Team, Customers, Product, Improvement, and Profit. When we say we value Improvement, it means that we commit to managing and improving our overall financial performance. If you don’t measure it, you won’t improve it. The Finance team works closely with all departments as we build and improve our industry-leading commercial real estate platform. In this role. you must be willing to painstakingly review every detail while maintaining the full picture and guiding everybody you work with toward delivering on the vision. Our efforts speak for themselves - we are one of the few SaaS companies with negative net churn and we’ve been listed in Inc. 5000 three years in a row.
We’re looking for a Controller who is energized by the resource constraints and learning opportunities of a growth company. In your role and in partnership with the CFO, you’ll be responsible for a wide range of activities, including day-to-day accounting responsibilities, team development, drive accounting initiatives, and a variety of financial analyses and special projects.
This role is perfect for you if you thrive in a fast-paced environment, you’re passionate about producing timely and accurate work products, and are looking for a company where your contributions will have a direct impact on the growth of the department and the company.What You’ll Bring to Buildout
- This is a highly valued role so you should have at least 5+ years as a Controller, Accounting Manager, or similar position in a growth stage company. SaaS experience is a plus.
- You should have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field. Early experience in public accounting and/or a CPA is a plus.
- You should have experience managing a small team.
- Experience implementing processes and systems to improve controls and reporting.
- Working knowledge of US GAAP along with experience with revenue recognition under ASC 606 and R&D capitalization
- Experience in supporting budgeting and forecasting is a plus.
- You should have a strong degree of proficiency in accounting software such as Quickbooks, NetSuite, or Sage in addition to Microsoft Excel. If you’ve implemented accounting software, that would be a huge plus.
- You should be a natural problem solver and be able to distill the big picture into scalable outcomes.
- Own the month-end close as well as day-to-day accounting activities.
- You’ll prepare financial statements and reporting for management and our private equity sponsor as well as monthly account reconciliations and G/L analysis.
- You’ll work closely with the CFO to prepare forecasts and budgets
- You’ll be the point of contact for annual audits and tax compliance and working with outside consultants to ensure we follow sales & use tax laws
- You’ll prepare periodic cash forecasts and support loan compliance reporting.
- You’ll serve as a backup for payroll activities and review of periodic payrolls before processing.
- You’ll develop appropriate process documentation and ensure compliance with our financial approval matrix.
Of course what is outlined above is your ideal day-to-day, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, Buildout has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles may not be remote long-term and may return to an office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.What We Value
- Team: We achieve more as a team than apart, so we wholeheartedly commit to listening, empathizing, and giving the benefit of the doubt to our team members. We commit to inclusion by accepting people as individuals and valuing who they are. Teamwork Makes the Dream Work™.
- Customers: We listen to and support our customers across our teams. We believe that customer service is in every job description and commit to delighting our customers.
- Product: We live by Q=PUE (n. pooh): Quality = Polish x Understanding x Engineering. We seek to empathetically Understand the problem and always ask “why.” We iteratively Engineer great solutions. And we patiently Polish the result to get to Buildout Quality.
- Improvement: We focus on making a significant impact by taking steps to improve ourselves, our company, and the lives of our customers.
- Profit: We effectively create value as a company, which brings in profit that practically powers our Team, Customers, Product, and Improvement.
Buildout is the software used by top commercial real estate companies to power their marketing and brokerage operations. Now offering database, pipeline reporting, and back-office tools—Buildout enhances your entire deal cycle in a single platform.
Learn more about who we are, what we do, and why we’re changing the face of CRE tech on our website: https://buildout.com/.
We also built a benefits program to match the quality of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including fully paying your monthly premiums.
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability, and life insurance
- Beautiful and convenient offices in Downtown Chicago
- Great ways to take a break from the workday. Why choose between ping pong, pool, air hockey, puzzles, and even a music room if you can have them all?
- Snacks and drinks, including all the LaCroix you can drink.
- Most importantly, a wonderfully quirky culture with a committed and supportive management team invested in your growth and development
Buildout is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Below, you will be asked to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). It is required by law that we ask these questions using the format provided by the EEOC. However, we want you to know that at Buildout, we understand that gender is not binary and welcome people of all identities. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here to view our Equal Opportunity Employment Poster.