Director, Finance & Accounting
Director, Finance & Accounting
Purpose of Position:
The Director of Finance & Accounting will be responsible for the accounting and financial reporting function for our Consumer Division (ProFlowers and FTD.com) including monthly close, implementing and maintaining financial controls, addressing audit requests and accounting/financial analysis of operational projects. Aside from planning, budgeting, and forecasting responsibilities, the Director will manage, mentor, coach, train, and provide an experienced team opportunity to grow and advance their knowledge.
If you possess the demeanor and patience to maximize the productivity of a team, the poise, and confidence to challenge management as appropriate in all situations requiring financial involvement, then this role is for you. Our Finance team plays a critical role in the operations of the business, and this person must enjoy and embrace actively participating in all facets of the business!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct responsibility for the monthly financial close including, but not limited to review of month-end accounting reports, journal entries, accruals, revenue recognition, variance analyses, and cost center reviews with senior business leaders.
- Research as needed accounting guidance and recent pronouncements that may have an impact on financial reporting. Must possess the ability to understand and communicate to staff and management the implications of the applicable accounting guidance.
- Direct responsibility for the annual operating financial planning process working closely with all department managers in developing challenging but reasonable budgets for the fiscal year.
- Partner with business leaders to update monthly forecasts that account for the market, economic and strategic changes, and current conditions.
- Identify operational shortcomings within the division and work with the respective operating managers in those areas to ensure strict adherence to key controls and procedures. In the event, they are not, work with the operating group to develop a plan to correct those issues identified.
- Prepare monthly bridges for actual results and forecast changes which identify business issues that are impacting the company's ability to execute the operating plan.
- Communicate actual results and forecast challenges to management and development opportunities that allow the company to achieve its operating plan.
- Advise leadership team of risk and maintain strict integrity on all occasions without any compromise. Possess the tools (JDE & TM1) and insight to identify potential problems before they arise.
- Increase departmental productivity through performance measurements and motivational activities that challenge the group to raise its standards.
- Attend various planning meetings with the multiple cost center managers and assist in their financial development.
- Work with external and internal auditors and ensure all audit requests are completed accurately and timely and that questions or issues are addressed.
- Complete review of Controller's checklist to determine any changes during the most recent reporting period.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS/BA in accountancy or finance
- Ten+ years of experience in accounting, internal controls, financial reporting, financial budgeting/planning and analytical projects in a medium or large size company required
- Must be an outstanding communicator with the poise and presence to manage a diverse group of constituents in a challenging matrix management situation.
- Must possess excellent analytical skills and have the confidence to challenge management in various situations.
- High energy, positive, collaborative, approachable work style, and ability to see all tasks through to completion with a very high level of customer satisfaction.
- Possess a high sense of urgency; prioritize as appropriate; work to streamline processes while improving quality, timeliness, and accuracy.
- Be a leader by setting an excellent example for your staff and all those you work with.