Finance and Accounting Support Analyst
Braintree builds products that make payments easier—so easy that they fade into the background, making entirely new kinds of interactions possible. Interactions like seamlessly paying for your ride share—or the condo you rented this weekend—without presenting a card or pressing a button, or buying a lamp on Pinterest...right from Pinterest. The Braintree full-stack payment platform lets companies build their own experiences and then scale their businesses around the globe. We're known for our technology but we're also known for our support, with internal risk and underwriting, account management and technical support teams who ensure a frictionless payments experience.
Acquired by PayPal in 2013, Braintree is now in an even greater position to change the way people pay. Headquartered in Chicago, Braintree has offices in San Francisco, New York, Sydney, London with employees stationed around the world.
The best talent deserves the best perks. Join the Braintree Team and you’ll get catered lunches, tuition reimbursement, public transit commute reimbursement, and much more!
Check us out - Braintree on LinkedIn | Glassdoor | Facebook | Twitter
FINANCE AND ACCOUNTING SUPPORT ANALYST
The Braintree Finance and Accounting Support Analyst is responsible for the execution and oversight of operational processes related to merchant funding and month end close processes. The Finance and Accounting Support Analyst will assist in managing the day-to- day operation and problem solving of the team, which includes performing merchant account pricing reviews, reconciling differences between internal and bank data, troubleshooting merchant disbursement, working to issue credits and debits, and investigating Braintree merchant funding losses. The Finance and Accounting Support Analyst will also assist in the monthly gateway billing and losses reporting processes, and test new product features. Lastly, the Analyst will be responsible for assisting the Accounting team with answering questions related to their month end close process.
- Assist in the management of day-to-day team operations and problem solving in the process of merchant funding. Implement bank account updates, pricing changes, risk hold removals and releases. Perform reconciliation analysis and research daily variances between bank data and internal data.
- Utilize internal pricing models to evaluate pricing changes for merchants. Analyze pricing structure, merchant processing history, and processor pricing policy. Make pricing recommendations to Account Manager and assist with ongoing merchant pricing discussions.
- Provide support of the manual billing process for all gateway merchants. Ensure accurate calculations of merchants on tiered billing pricing structures, debit merchants accordingly and report gateway-only billing revenue to Finance.
- Fund and report Braintree’s merchant transaction losses. Work with Risk team and banking partners across US, EU, and APAC to reconcile, pay and report merchant funding losses on a monthly basis.
- Partner with Braintree Risk and Account Management teams on the resolution of process flaws, system bugs or other operational issues adversely impacting merchant funding. Assist development with new product launches and market expansions that impact merchant funding processes.
- Assist Accounting team with managing and coordinating the month end close process. Support preparation of monthly reporting packages for department managers.
- Engage with business partners at PayPal Treasury to send wire and debit payments to merchants.
- Work with a high degree of initiative to identify and recommend process improvement opportunities in the areas of reporting, reconciliation, pricing and accounting.
- Perform at a Meets or Exceeds expectations level for all specific duties outlined above.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of Braintree’s business products, transactions, systems and related merchant funding process flows. Understand the funding implications from the transaction level, to the reconciliation level and then up to the general ledger of various money movement accounts.
- Demonstrate a high level of job discretion. Performance is evaluated against the ability to adhere to the PayPal values and behaviors including exercising good judgment, demonstrating a desire and ability to make good decisions, displaying a heightened level of accountability, demonstrating a sense of responsibility, confidentiality and professionalism.
- Maintain the highest level of teamwork, by incorporating a positive attitude, being supportive in words and actions, embodying the core values of Braintree and communicating appropriately with all levels both within the existing team & anyone outside the direct reporting structure.
- Maintain a high level of commitment, which includes more than just performing accountabilities, as assigned. This includes requesting additional responsibilities, volunteering for special projects, identifying oneself as a go-to individual, displaying flexibility with change and a passion for the product and company.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, or Accounting required.
- 4+ years relevant work experience in financial operations or accounting required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, primarily Excel (intermediate level of expertise working with Excel pivot tables, v-lookup and filters strongly desired)
- Experience with banking systems preferred. Experience with other external systems and software a plus (reconciliation tools, data warehouse, etc.)
- Previous SQL experience a plus
- Financial institution or payments industry experience a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong analytical, research, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills, with the ability to manage a variety of primary duties as well as actively contribute to new projects.
- Well-developed sense of urgency and follow through
- Energy and desire to thrive in a fast-paced organization; ability to handle multiple projects under pressure.
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Strong communication skills - including ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present findings as well as recommendations in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization
- Ability to learn and adapt to new product flows and software technologies.
- Ability to adhere to the highest ethical standards including honesty, integrity.
- Strong sense of dedication to the Company and the team.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed by the employees assigned to this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply. You can also check out our FAQ!