Cars.com is a leading online destination that offers information from experts and consumers to help car shoppers and owners buy, sell and service their vehicles. With more than 30 million monthly visits to its web properties, Cars.com offers millions of new and used vehicle listings, reviews, unbiased editorial content, and a wide range of shopping tools. Despite being a nearly 20-year-old company, Cars.com has maintained its startup culture as a fun, fast-paced environment with highly-engaged employees who are committed to constant innovation. Cars.com’s growing workforce also enjoys a good work/life balance, career stability, strong resources, growth and career development opportunities, health and wellness programs, an attractive compensation and benefits package, work from home options, flex hours and more. Cars.com has been—and will continue to be—a great place to work.
Cars.com is seeking a Financial Analyst to join a team responsible for forecasting our financial results, budgeting, analyzing the financial impacts of our business decisions, and playing a critical role in influencing all areas of the business. From creating compensation plans to allocating our marketing mix, the Cars.com Financial Planning & Analysis team plays a critical role in Cars.com’s success. At Cars.com, Finance plays an important role in nearly every aspect of the business.
- Assist in preparing the balance of the year forecast and annual budget, working in partnership with functional VPs, Directors, managers, and support staff
- Variance analysis – comparing actual results to budget, forecast and prior year and providing insightful explanations and recommendations
- Work closely with Accounting & Financial Operations on month-end close to ensure the financial records are accurate and invoices are coded correctly
- Stream-lining monthly financial reporting
- Presenting financial reporting to senior management, including analysis of current period results compared to budget and forecast
- Ad hoc reports and analysis, as needed by the FP&A team and as requested by the functional VPs being supported
Required Skills & Competencies
Our most successful team members have the following characteristics and skills:
- Intellectual curiosity – a passion for understanding ‘why’; interest in new experiences and learning new things
- Focus on accuracy, including
- Good sense of thoroughness – can be trusted to product mistake-free work most of the time
- Good process for quality-assuring work before sharing with customers and others
- Financial acumen, including
- Ability to interpret and apply understanding of key financial indicators to make better decisions
- Time management – at Cars.com, we don’t micro-manage our employees. It’ll be up to you to make sure you get things done on time.
- Learning on the fly. You’ll need to figure a lot of things out on your own. Our most successful employees are resourceful and know how to learn from others.
- Tech-savvy. Our best performers have a strong knowledge of MS Office, including intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
- Experience with Cognos/TM1 or similar budgeting/analysis tools a plus.
- An inherent desire to improve and streamline processes.
- Strong understanding of accounting concepts, including knowledge of balance sheet and income statement accounts. The candidate should understand basic accrual accounting.
- Ability to communicate clearly and confidently with all levels and functions of the organization. Whether they’re working with a peer or giving a presentation to the President of Cars.com, our employees demonstrate confidence.
The ideal candidate will be team-oriented and will have the following attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or related field.
- 2-5 years of experience in accounting or finance, including relevant experience with financial planning and analysis.