UI LABS is a tech organization driving the digital future of manufacturing and cities. We help companies solve problems far too big for them to solve on their own and connect them to innovators at universities and startups. By guiding our more than 300 partners through complex projects, we help them deliver cutting-edge solutions to their customers, improve their financial performance and transform industries. UI LABS encompasses the Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute (DMDII) and City Tech Collaborative.
+ Position Overview
The Grant Accountant is responsible for post award financial administration of grants and contracts assigned to one or more programs of the organization. This position may also be involved in budget design in the grant application process.
This position plays an important role in post-award compliance to ensure that budgets are not overspent, grant periods are adhered to, costs are allowable under the grant and accounting records are maintained in good order and for the proper time.
+ Key Responsibilities
- Maintains a working knowledge of grant regulations and relevant information, to include funding allocations, processes, laws, rules, and regulations; reads and reviews multiple publications and federal, state, and local guidelines to track changes and updates.
- Assists with the development, implementation, evaluation, and audit of all grant programs.
- Works with representatives from funding agencies to establish reporting requirements and funding system requirements.
- Generates monthly, quarterly and annual reports for use by grants administrators and grant project directors in monitoring grant activities.
- Develop, update and reconcile provisional rates.
- Prepares journal entries needed to general ledger for proper grant maintenance.
- Prepares audit work papers for independent audit.
- Performs reconciliations of accounts receivable and other general ledger accounts.
- Understanding of GAAP, grant accounting, and other state and federal reporting requirements.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Must be able to:
- Thrive in a dynamic, fast-moving environment.
- Read and interpret grant documents, information, regulations, requirements, etc.
- Research various sources, gather, source, and analyze complex data as it relates to the interpretation of specific grant information.
- Multi-task effectively; be able to adjust to frequent changes, delays or unexpected events; be flexible and/or adaptable as work requirements change.
- Meet deadlines; be self-directed and able to work autonomously/independently as needed.
- Work effectively in a team-based environment
+ Position Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration from an accredited college/university is preferred.
- At least 3 years experience managing grants required
- Strong Excel skills
- Experience with Deltek/Costpoint preferred, but not required
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
+ Work with Us
UI LABS is a results-oriented, lean, collaborative tech organization and 501(c)(3) nonprofit. We are hard-working, mission-driven, flexible, and work with a sense of urgency. We hire tech-savvy, committed, self-starters who can think outside the box, and have a strong capacity to learn and adapt to the needs of the organization and role through both skill and grit. All-star employees excel without the help of administrative support, and don’t mind rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty (figuratively!). Additionally, people who love to solve problems, no matter how big or small, find they are a good fit for UI LABS.
Our LEED Certified, state-of-the-art facility features 12 conference rooms and event spaces, a manufacturing floor, and a bustling open-office environment. UI LABS is a collaborative space, hosting many events for our partners and other prestigious organizations. Being able to engage with staff and visitors in a positive, professional, helpful manner is critical.
Located on Goose Island in Chicago (just north of downtown), UI LABS is a 10-minute walk from the North and Clybourn Red Line stop, a 20-minute walk from the Division Blue Line stop, and accessible by a variety of other public transit options; additionally, we have free parking available for employees
+ Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
UI LABS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse environment in our workplace, our communities, and within the tech industry. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, disability status, economic circumstance, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status