Payroll Accounting Technician
Guaranteed Rate is the 7th largest retail mortgage lender in the U.S. By offering industry-leading tools, low-rate mortgages and unparalleled customer service, we’ve become the Home Purchase Experts®. At Guaranteed Rate, we think big—pushing beyond what most people believe is possible. We strive to work with the best of the best, building business with the best referral partners and hiring the best employees—allowing us to deliver world-class customer service. Our goal is to make sure every customer has a great experience. Headquartered in Chicago with 5,000+ employees in 300+ offices across the U.S. and licensed in all 50 states, we’ve helped thousands of homeowners with more than $24 billion in home purchase loans and refinances in just the past year alone.
Reporting to the Manager of Payroll Operations, the Payroll Accounting Technician facilitates all accounting functions associated with the semi-monthly payroll process. This role is a subject matter expert who works closely with stakeholders throughout the Guaranteed Rate finance & accounting team including payroll, accounting, commissions, and compensation.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 4 year college degree preferred
- 1-3+ years solid experience with payroll processing and knowledge of payroll accounting processes
- Experience using ADP Workforce Now or Ceridian Dayforce software preferred, though not required
- Familiar with federal, state, and local tax and wage laws
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Strong computer skills, specifically in Excel; proficient in data entry and time management
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to partner with stakeholder groups throughout a complex sales organization
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND PAYROLL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages all tax correspondence from federal, state, and local agencies and works with the payroll tax provider to resolve issues and process any amendments.
- Quarterly and annual balancing of payroll tax filings to ensure accuracy by payroll tax provider.
- Conducts periodic tax audits to ensure accuracy of employee local and lived in/worked in states.
- Educates payroll team on payroll tax compliance and regulatory updates.
- Responsible for all payroll accounting accruals including salary, vacation, bonus, and employer healthcare.
- Manages payroll general ledger system including payroll mapping and chart of accounts.
- Responsible for preparing and balancing semimonthly payroll journal entry.
- Responsible for preparing monthly 401K match calculation & journal entry.
- Manages import and export files to/from 401K vendor ensuring accurate and timely processing.
- Knowledge of employee compensation plans and audits results of periodic (semi-monthly, monthly, and quarterly) bonus worksheets against compensation plan support.
- Prepares and distributes earning and deduction import files to payroll team received from outside stakeholders including bonuses and commissions.
- Partners with commission team to continuously improve the processing of commissions through payroll.
- Prepares and distributes reports (P&L, MPB, post payroll deductions, negative commission recovery, etc) for finance & accounting as needed.
- Assists in semimonthly payroll auditing.
- Ability to understand the interaction between the payroll and accounting functions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Organized and able to prioritize
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Knowledge of Microsoft office products; advanced Excel skills
- Able to maintain confidential posture and exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work successfully within a team environment, yet also able to work independently with limited supervision
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason protected by law.