Senior Tax & Compliance Analyst at Civis Analytics
What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
As a Senior Tax & Compliance Analyst you will help manage our day-to-day business compliance and tax obligations. Key duties include managing state registrations and filings for payroll tax, sales and use tax, and business licenses, coordinating with our external tax consultants to prepare our annual corporate tax filings, and researching new state, local and federal tax requirements.
We are a lean team which allows for project ownership, collaboration, career development, and the ability to directly impact our business success. We're looking for growth-minded, analytical thinkers with creative ideas who can go beyond the numbers to find dynamic solutions to the challenges we face. If you thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment this position is for you!
- Compile and analyze data to complete supporting tax schedules for the preparation of federal, state, and local returns.
- File and maintain sales & use tax, business license registrations, and payroll tax registrations across multiple states.
- Research business licenses and other state tax requirements for new states.
- Monitor changes in tax legislation and assist in implementing applicable changes.
- Coordinate Annual Report filings and Business License renewals.
- Assist with journal entry preparation and account reconciliations for tax transactions.
- Prepare ad hoc reporting and analysis as needed.
- Propose and implement tax and compliance policies to support our growing team.
- 5+ years experience working in a tax role, preferably with a SaaS product.
- Proven knowledge of federal and state tax laws, tax accounting principles, and business compliance practices.
- CPA certification and accounting software experience (Netsuite) preferred.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (verbal, non-verbal, written), with the ability to build relationships at all levels.
- Self-motivated strategic thinker with strong organizational and project management skills.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- Modern office, conveniently located in the Loop. Close to public transportation, great restaurants and beautiful city views.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW