Applied Data Science, Political Internship
Who we are
Civis Analytics has opportunities for applicants who are brilliant newcomers, seasoned data scientists, and anywhere in between. We value creativity, hard work, and on-the-job excellence.
Civis Analytics is a technology and strategic services company that works with organizations seeking to make more efficient, accurate, and data-driven decisions. Civis was founded in 2013 by former members of the analytics team on the 2012 Obama campaign, and today works closely with candidates, independent political organizations, and advocacy groups to provide strategic insights about elections up and down the ballot.
With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
ADS Interns are critical components of the advisory arm of Civis Analytics and are expected to take a role in understanding how to design and implement analytical solutions for each client’s unique situation. We are looking for individuals from a diversity of backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. ADS Interns will work with the political team to develop products and strategic guidance for clients working in the 2020 election.
Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 graduates only. Our paid summer internships are a full-time, 10-12 week commitment, with opportunity to start full time ahead of the 2020 election.
While this is a politically-focused role, individuals have succeeded in this role with a range of backgrounds outside of direct campaign experience, including academic experience in political science or statistical research. Members of our team have educational backgrounds in physics, political science, philosophy, and more.
- Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 graduate pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in social science, mathematics, statistics, or a similarly analytical subject
- Ability to tackle difficult analytical problems, break them down into component parts, and work independently or collaboratively with others to solve them
- Experience using programming languages, including at least one of Python or R, and a willingness to develop these skills on the job
- Comfort using data to answer questions and communicate those conclusions to others
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated passion for progressive causes, political data, and/or campaigns
- Resourceful - not easily deterred by setbacks
- US work authorization required
- A demonstrated history of using data in research or applied settings to solve complex problems or make strategic decisions
- Experience working with presentation and data visualization tools, such as ggplot, Tableau, and MS PowerPoint
- Experience or expertise with SQL
- Proven track record of working with ambiguous problems
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to help progressive organizations win races in 2019 and 2020 elections
- We value creativity, hard work, and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Civis will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
EEO IS THE LAW