Data Science Intern
Working for Trunk Club
When you join Trunk Club, you join the Nordstrom family. Our fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment is paired with the strong history and experience of a retail legacy. We have access to some of the greatest minds in retail and technology and are constantly creating innovative strategies to develop the ultimate apparel solutions. We welcome your adaptability, your curiosity, and your passion to contribute to our unparalleled shopping experience!
Who We Are
At Trunk Club, we develop machine learning algorithms that enable the business to make data-driven decisions, from whom marketing targets for re-engagement credits, to which merchandise to recommend for a given customer. Our stack provides data scientists the capability to easily turn an algorithm into an API, and run follow-up A/B tests using a range of multivariate models at your disposal. Every team relies not only on the insights collected, but more importantly in the clever ways that we present it at every step in our experience.
Data Science helps drive Trunk Club. Every member plays a critical role in influencing the company on the best ways to grow and change. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with every team and gain exposure to deploying machine learning algorithms in a high-tech environment.
What You'll Do
- Over the course of this 10-week summer internship you will be assigned a core project, working alongside experienced data scientists to leverage advanced machine learning techniques to immediately impact our business.
- Work hands-on on an analytical project from conception to deployment, leveraging Machine Learning and AWS tools.
- Gain insight on industry-valued practical machine learning methods, building Machine Learning models that power our apps and inventory classification. Our preferred languages are Python and R.
- Research and develop predictive algorithms using various supervised and unsupervised statistical concepts, such as time series, multivariate methods, GLM, and Bayesian inference.
- Work with technology partners to test and implement solutions.
- Communicate and present algorithm solutions and outcomes with other teams through data visualization.
What Your Background May Look Like
- Proficiency with Python, R, Jupyter, and Spark is preferred.
- Completed at least 15 credit hours of graduate coursework
Who You Are
- A self-starter. You love what you do and are motivated to find the next improvement opportunity.
- A learner. You have an insatiable thirst for knowledge and greater understanding, particularly as it relates to business insights.
- A collaborator. You thrive in a team environment and enjoy communicating with technical and non-technical users alike.
- A multitasker. You are organized and can effectively balance changing priorities.
How We Work
- With others. We collaborate cross-functionally to solve problems and deliver the best products for our customers.
- With agility. We don’t believe in following a process for process’s sake. We ship frequently and focus on delivering incremental value.
- With open minds. We are committed to building a diverse team of people with unique perspectives. This encourages a healthy and inclusive environment that builds a more sustainable, successful company.
- With pride. We value our people most of all. We invest in ourselves by applying our own strengths and interests to company needs.
A Few of Our Perks
- Lunch-and learns
- Tech all-hands every other Friday
- Hack days
- Team outings
- Flexible work environment with casual dress code
- Merchandise discounts at Nordstrom Rack, Nordstrom, HauteLook, and Trunk Club
*Local Candidates Preferred