Assistant General Counsel
At VillageMD, we are committed to helping patients achieve greater health by delivering the most effective, accessible and efficient healthcare in the world through partnership with primary care physicians. We're in a unique position to impact everyone in primary care from independent, family-owned practices to world-class health systems. Our legal team ensures that VillageMD complies with the highest standards of business, law, and ethics while providing information and guidance to management in support of the organization’s growth.
As an Assistant General Counsel on our team, you will work in partnership with our General Counsel and the legal team on advancing the organization’s legal regulatory and compliance initiatives and infrastructure. We are looking for someone who is highly organized with excellent attention to detail. Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated interest and experience in practicing health law and should possess strong self-starter credentials with excellent writing, communication, and client-relations skills.
What are some examples of work you’ll be managing at VillageMD?
- Provide research, draft materials and answer questions related to regulatory and compliance matters
- Analyze and provide legal guidance on a wide range of regulatory, contractual and operational matters, including the interpretation and implementation of legislation
- Provide clear, succinct, and actionable written advice to key executive stakeholders that reflects full understanding of the pertinent operations
- Conduct internal investigations and document appropriately when needed
- Provide support and guidance, and ultimately leadership, to compliance committees including Anti-Kickback and billing compliance
- Monitor, update, document and enhance legal operations tools and resources for clients in the area of compliance billing
- Draft, revise and implement policies and procedures and help support a knowledge management platform
- Provide support and assistance on training including recorded video podcasts as well as written materials and graphic guides
- Provide support on regulatory corporate matters including filings, intercompany agreements and policies
- Develop innovative ways to communicate effectively with the organization to achieve compliance goals
- Lead compliance as a service offering to new clients
- Support efforts for value creation by legal department
- Support and enhance legal department analytics and reporting capabilities
What will make you successful here?
- A willingness to learn on your own and take initiative with minimal direction
- A bias for action and pragmatic solutions
- Ability and willingness to drive collaboration across the team and a commitment to transparency on open matters, next steps, and performance measurement
- High emotional intelligence including the ability to develop substantial relationships and successfully navigate diverse partner groups
- Shown experience performing under pressure in an extremely fast-paced and constantly evolving environment with a strong sense of urgency and attention to detail
- A low ego and humility; an ability to gain trust through strong communication and doing what you say you will do
The following experience is relevant to us:
- 5+ years of experience as an attorney and at least 3 years of experience in health care, insurance, or health related technology
- Demonstrated expertise with Medicare Advantage compliance and conducting contract reviews
- Illinois bar admission required
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.