Counsel - Contracts
About Guaranteed Rate:
Guaranteed Rate is one of the largest retail mortgage lenders in the United States. Headquartered in Chicago, the Company has approximately 317 offices across the U.S. and is licensed in all 50 states. Since its founding in 2000, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with home purchase loans and refinances and funded nearly $19 billion in loans in 2018 alone. The Company has established itself as an industry leader by introducing innovative technology, such as the world's first Digital Mortgage, by offering low rates within an easy-to-understand mortgage process, and by delivering unparalleled customer service. Honors and awards include: “Top Lender for Online Service” for 2018 by U.S. News & World Report; No. 3 ranking in Scotsman Guide's Top Retail Mortgage Lenders 2017; Top Lender 2016, 2017 and 2018 by Chicago Agent magazine; Chicago Tribune's Top Workplaces list for seven consecutive years; and Best Overall Online Lender and Best Lender for FHA Refinance by NerdWallet in 2018. Visit rate.com for more information.
Guaranteed Rate is building a winning team to reinvent the mortgage experience through innovation, technology and a relentless focus on providing industry-leading mortgage products and superlative customer service. The Counsel will embrace and support these efforts by assisting with drafting and negotiating key agreements that further these objectives while effectively managing risk. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently, solve problems creatively, prioritize relentlessly, exercise business judgment soundly, and operate with a sense of urgency to get things done. The Counsel must be sufficiently experienced and ready to quickly assume responsibility for key corporate and transactional matters on day 1. The Counsel will work closely with leadership and support all levels of management.
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements, including real estate lease agreements, vendor agreements, SaaS and license agreements, marketing and advertising contracts, master service agreements, consulting agreements, letters of intent, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Support critical transactions, including reviewing, drafting and negotiating agreements related to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity investments, and warehouse lines and other debt facilities.
- Regularly advise business stakeholders and members of the legal department on subject matter related to areas of responsibility and the Company’s obligations under various agreements.
- Flag and escalate appropriate matters to other subject matter experts in the legal department, including the litigation and regulatory compliance teams.
- Revise and improve existing vendor, contract management and legal department policies and procedures.
- Provide training to internal clients on contracts and other key legal matters.
- Negotiate and resolve pre-litigation contract disputes.
- At least 3 - 5 years of significant experience in contract drafting, negotiation and review. Emphasis on SaaS and other technology contracts is a plus.
- Prior financial services industry experience, especially mortgage transactions and regulatory experience, a significant advantage.
- Strong project management skills and ability to complete projects with minimal supervision under tight timelines.
- Can-do “roll up your sleeves” mindset.
- Sound business judgment and ability to strike right balance between legal risks and business goals.
- Willingness to learn the business and build strong relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Self-motivated with strong work ethic.
- Clear, concise and persuasive oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cross functionally with a customer service mindset.
- Proven track record of multi-tasking and working under a heavy workload with changing priorities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Resilient with a sense of humor.
- Prior in-house counsel experience a plus.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school.
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state and must be or be able to become licensed in Illinois. Illinois bar members preferred.
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason protected by law.