General Counsel at ThinkMarkets
ThinkMarkets is seeking a talented General Counsel with a strong academic background and experience in a financial services environment including banking, financial markets, securities trading, or law firm’s financial and regulatory departments. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a global law firm and governmental agencies providing legal services to operationally & technologically intensive businesses.
Based out of our Chicago office, the General Counsel will have transactional experience, financial & regulatory expertise and be responsible for all Group legal matters. The GC will be directly involved in complex business transactions, negotiating critical contracts, and overseeing all group legal matters. This position will work closely with the CEO, Board and Senior Management across the group.
- Managing and completing legal initiatives and programs for the Company globally.
- Working with the business and industry groups to assess and implement new regulatory requirements.
- Providing advice to the Board, committees, and other senior management functions
- Conducting legal research and preparing written memos, articles.
- Assessing legal risk, advising on such risk, and reviewing policies and procedures and process changes to mitigate risk.
- Drafting internal policies and procedures and ensuring compliance.
- Reviewing regulatory disclosures and marketing materials.
- Managing outside legal counsel and the internal legal department.
- Provide legal advice and ensure processes are compliant with rules and regulations
- Reviewing international and regional policy documents and consultations and developing the organizational position and response.
- Provide guidance on prospective regulations and legislation that impacts the regional licenses.
- Responsible for corporate governance matters of the Company and its global subsidiaries.
- Performance of other related duties at the direction of the Company’s Group CEO.
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Experience with regulatory compliance functions across multiple jurisdictions including international and domestic regulatory bodies such as UK (FCA), Australia (ASIC), and US (SEC/FINRA)
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity, and gravitas.
- Ability to demonstrate exceptional drafting, problem solving and critical-thinking, project management, independent judgement, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with executive management, business partners and regulators.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong drafting skills.
- Ability to think outside the box and focus on key points of legal opinions.
- Drafting and negotiating intellectual property licenses, nondisclosure agreements, services contracts, employment agreements and settlement agreements.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
*Please attach a cover letter in addition to your resume in order to be considered for this position.*