Legal and Compliance Lead
At the Catch Company, our purpose is to rescue people from the indoors and connect them one of America’s largest sporting industries: fishing. Our approach is built on 4 pillars:
- Digital first
- Brand matters (a lot)
- Go vertical (we make many of the products we feature)
- Data, data, data
Using these pillars, we’re building a premier digital shopping experience that introduces anglers to the best new gear and lifestyle apparel and we are looking for exceptionally talented people to help make that vision a reality. In addition to being talented, our team members are honest, curious, take action and always seek to leave things better than they found them. If that sounds like you, we would love to meet you.
The Catch Company is looking for a strategic, business-minded Legal and Compliance lead to ensure that the company is smartly managing its risks and to lead the execution of legal projects in an efficient manner.
What you will do:
- Provide counsel on corporate matters, including…
- IP protection
- Employment matters
- Contract negotiations with service providers and media partners
- Tax nexus
- Regulatory compliance (e.g., website and packaging)
- Real estate/leases
- Advise the Board of Directors on board-related issues
- Act as primary company risk manager, analyzing and addressing risk inherent in every major decision
- Partner with HR to develop an ethical corporate culture
- Manage Legal budget and all outside counsel relationships and costs
- Manage the company’s equity incentive program and cap table
- Conduct an exhaustive review of existing legal documentation, filling gaps as recommended
- Ensure that the company’s licenses and registrations are in good standing
- Shift from executing as an individual contributor in the early going to recruiting and managing a stellar team as workload increases
- Developing appropriate licensing contracts with third parties.
- Managing contracts with manufacturing and other product partners.
What will make you successful:
- Curiosity: Always seeking to understand “why”. Always looking to make things better.
- Passion: You are driven by a love for what you do
- Optimism: The ability to bounce back quickly when something doesn’t work
- Action: Knowing when to shift from planning to doing
- Honesty: Transparency with customers, partners and teammates. Strong professional ethics and integrity
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Data-driven mindset
- Willingness to get your hands dirty
- Ability to add structure to ambiguous situations
What makes this a special opportunity:
- You will play a key role in establishing and protecting the company’s long-term value
- You will be involved in many of the company’s highest-leverage initiatives, like media deals and product licensing
- You will work directly with Catch Co.’s c-level team
- We are a dynamic early-stage startup with tons of momentum (ranked #435 on the 2017 Inc. 500 list of the fastest growing private companies)
- We place a premium on building a great culture made up of great people
- You will work with and learn from experienced leaders who have a track record of building successful companies
We are based in Chicago’s West Loop, with easy access to all major public transportation systems
- JD degree from a top university
- Additional business-oriented education is a plus
- 5+ years of professional legal experience with a top-tier law firm and/or in a corporate environment
- Experience working with high-growth, early-stage companies is a plus
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois
- Legal generalist skill set
- Experience with fundraising, IP management
- Experience operating on a budget and weighing risk against cost
- Competitive Medical Dental and Vision insurance.
- Ability to work from home.
- Flexible working hours.
- "Take what you need" vacation policy.