Regulatory Affairs Counsel at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What’s a Regulatory Affairs Counsel?
The Regulatory Affairs Counsel will lead all regulatory compliance and regulator engagement activities at Clearcover. If you’re looking for a career that rewards compassion, communication, problem-solving and continuous learning, Clearcover is the place.
The role will provide oversight, management, and guidance to ensure the company's operations are conducted according to compliant and ethical business practices, company policies, legal and regulatory requirements. You will be responsible for leading a team that creates an industry leading compliance and control environment for the internal review of rates and forms, customer communications, sales processes, producer oversight, claims and operational infrastructure.
What will you do?
- Manage and mitigate litigation and regulatory exposure resulting from product development, sales, service and claims processes
- Enhance and maintain a strong compliance culture through the development of internal policies, procedures and training programs
- Lead compliance audits as required and prescribed by business partners, the Company’s Board of Directors, audit committee and external auditors
- Select and manage external regulatory counsel where necessary
- First point of contact for interactions with the states’ department of insurance
- Analyze compliance risks and exposures both internal and external to Clearcover and prioritize and develop an internal test plan to assess compliance risks on an annual basis.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations, which includes analysis of information, coordination, and consultation with internal departments including legal research, state and federal policy review.
What are the requirements?
- Law degree from accredited university and current license to practice law in at least one state
- 5-7 years practicing in the insurance industry, in a law firm focused on insurance regulatory matters or at a state department of insurance
- Knowledge of insurance company, financial and governance regulation specific to companies that concentrate on personal property and casualty insurance
- Demonstrated experience and ability to recruit and manage a high performing and collaborative team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytic, technical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple short-term tasks and projects effectively under pressure
- Strong project management skills
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover the vast majority of your premiums to make the cost of you and your family's coverage affordable. Plus, we contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- Flexibility to work remotely
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.