Senior Counsel, Transactions
Senior Counsel, Transactions
This position will be located at Guaranteed Rate’s office at 3940 N. Ravenswood, Chicago, IL 60613.
Who is GR?
Guaranteed Rate, one of the largest and fastest growing independent mortgage companies in the U.S., is an industry leader in delivering low rate, low fee mortgages with unparalleled customer service. Headquartered in Chicago, we have more than 3,000 employees in over 170 offices nationwide. Guaranteed Rate is the 8th largest retail lender in the country and has recently been recognized in Inc. magazine as a top private job creator and one of the fastest-growing private companies in the U.S.
Guaranteed Rate is not your typical company and certainly not your typical mortgage company. We are young, have tons of energy and we love what we do – get people great priced mortgages and wow them with our impeccable customer service. Also, our location rocks – right off the brown line. Our home base is an old textile building that’s been turned into a hip office with exposed brick and duct work, windows we can actually open during the summer and an open floor plan – no cubicle life here. The awesomeness doesn’t end there, we also have:
- Free 20 minute monthly massages. It’s true, we don’t want you to be a cramped-up mess.
- A free on-site nurse. Who needs a doctor’s appointment when our nurse can do it all?
- An in-house café offering breakfast, lunch and a late afternoon healthy snack. All meals are subsidized so you’ll never pay full price.
- Access to the office gym for only $25 a year – no really - the whole year. Oh and for a puny fee you can take yoga, Cross Fit or boxing. We like our folks healthy and happy.
- A 5,000 square foot rooftop deck that’s available to everyone all day with wifi, two bars, music, grills, fun umbrellas and fire pits – provided it’s not covered in snow.
- Holiday parties? We got’em! Not just major holidays, any holiday….Marti Gras, Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Opening Day, Boxing Day (for our Canadian employee), Sweetest Day, Groundhog Day, etc.. And you’ll play a role in making the fun happen!
- 401k with some matching, Blue Cross health care coverage – yup, dental and vision too, short-term disability, life insurance – we got ya covered on this one, legal assistance – for a small monthly fee and did we mention the awesome rooftop deck?
While we don’t allow jeans, we also don’t allow suits. We want you to just look your best every day and you’ll fit right in.
Guaranteed Rate is working to reinvent the mortgage experience through innovation, technology and a relentless focus on providing industry-leading mortgage products and superlative customer service. The Senior Counsel will embrace and support these efforts by drafting and negotiating contracts and providing other legal services that further these objectives while effectively managing risk. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently, solve problems creatively, prioritize relentlessly, exercise business judgment soundly, and operate with a sense of urgency to get things done. The Senior Counsel must be sufficiently experienced and ready to quickly assume primary responsibility for leading key contract negotiations with minimal supervision and acting as the key liaison for contract matters with internal clients and external stakeholders. The Senior Counsel will report directly to the Associate General Counsel – Transactions and support all levels of management.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including but not limited to lease agreements, vendor agreements, license agreements, marketing contracts, event contracts, loan purchase agreements, credit agreements, technology agreements, master service agreements, service level agreements, consulting agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Work closely with legal and business teams to ensure that contracts meet business objectives and satisfy all corporate requirements.
- Communicate regularly and report on the status of contracts with key internal stakeholders and members of the legal department.
- Flag and escalate appropriate matters to supervising members of the legal department.
- Prepare and manage a library of contract templates.
- In conjunction with corporate legal requirements, provide training to internal clients on legal contract process, procedures and templates.
- Negotiate and resolve pre-litigation contract disputes.
- Advise business teams on legal matters related to contract obligations and compliance.
- Work closely with business to manage contract approval and renewal process.
- Assist with legal department overflow work as necessary, including marketing, advertising, litigation, corporate, employment, privacy and security matters.
- At least 5 years of significant experience in contract drafting, negotiation and review.
- Able to review, draft and negotiate a wide array of commercial contracts independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong project management skills and ability to complete projects under tight timelines.
- Sound business judgment and ability to strike right balance between legal risks and business goals.
- Willingness to learn the business and build strong relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Self-motivated with strong work ethic.
- Clear, concise and persuasive oral and written communication skills.
- Solid business acumen with ability to work collaboratively and cross functionally.
- Proven track record of multi-tasking and working under a heavy workload with changing priorities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Resilient with a sense of humor.
- Prior financial services experience, especially mortgage experience, a plus.
- Prior in-house counsel experience a plus.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school.
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state. Illinois bar member preferred.
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason protected by law.