Vice President, Legal / General Counsel at Paylocity
The VP, Legal / General Counsel will be a member of the Paylocity executive team and report directly to the CFO, with responsibility for all legal matters including SEC filings, corporate contracts (vendor, partner, and customer), corporate governance / corporate regulatory compliance, insurance, M&A, litigation, IP, information security related legal matters, employment / HR legal matters, and general corporate legal matters.
The VP, Legal / General Counsel will lead all strategic and tactical legal initiatives, advise the company and executive team on legal issues and implications, manage and oversee outside counsel, lead complex business transactions, and manage a high volume of client contracts. This role has a high degree of interaction with the business, and needs to be a business driver.
- The areas below represent the primary responsibilities of the position.
- Provide legal counsel to the company and senior management with respect to the legal implications of business issues / transactions
- Draft and negotiate all material contracts and agreements, including commercial contracts, real estate leases, NDA’s, M&A documents, license agreements, employment and related agreements, etc.
- Manage team responsible for customer contracts; negotiate contracts as necessary
- Coordinate and oversee risk / claim management activities (e.g., employment, compliance, employee benefits, information security, intellectual property rights and obligations, and insurance coverage issues)
- Public SEC filings, and all corporate legal affairs including M&A
- Manage outside legal counsel
- Key adviser on corporate governance, risk management, policy implementation, internal / external communications and special projects
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws / regulations
- Recommend and implement policies to support scalability while reducing operational risk
- Key legal advisor on all legal issues and risks, deal structures, corporate policies and procedures, acquisitions, commercial deals, and intellectual property protection
- Manage company litigation, work with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic approach, approve settlements of disputes where warranted
Education and Experience
- BBA / BA / BS degree required
- JD required + admission to a state / DC bar
- 7+ years practicing at a mix of large law firms and in house – tech experience preferred
- Public company experience / SEC filings, M&A, corporate, employment, contract law
- Experience working on public company corporate governance and with board of directors
- Experience structuring and advising on complex transactions, M&A, licensing agreements, enterprise customer contracts, and partnership agreements
- Experience dealing with employment law, stock options / RSU’s, and HR issues
- Ability to quickly integrate legal, business, and practical analysis
- Provide best practices to the legal function
- Practical and logical thinker with a business-focused problem-solving mentality
- Communicate effectively across the business; excellent oral and written communication
- Ability to perform in a cross-functional business environment