Network Systems Engineer
Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can’t tell we’re there.
We solve world-scale problems and provide opportunities to match. We build diverse teams that recognize our strengths and allow us to work on our weaknesses. You bring skills and a relentless focus on the customer, and we'll provide the support you need to do the best work of your life.
Check us out: GitHub | Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | The Muse | Glassdoor
Our focus is teaming with smart engineers who are passionate about their craft and excited to build software for our unique solutions in the space.
At Braintree, developers have the chance to work on various teams and stacks. Although most of our software is written in Ruby, we believe in using the best tool for the job. For example, we’ve written data platforms in Clojure, payment gateways in Java, and contextual commerce in Python. Here’s more:
- Communication is key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. Many teams program in pairs, which means you always have another set of eyes to help you.
- We practice test-driven development and believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. We have no QA department – developers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We keep the team in sync with daily stand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectives brought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
As a Network Systems Engineer, you work closely with our platform teams to scale and operate the network systems that power Braintree. Network Engineering is critical to our uptime and performance for all of our products and applications. You'll help define our evolving network architecture that spans data centers, our partners, and the cloud.
- Help architect our evolving next-generation switching and routing networks
- Automate management and operation of our networking platform
- Engage with partners and third parties on connectivity and peering
- Identify areas for improvement in our core routing and switching
What you can expect:
- Scale and operate our mission-critical network across multiple physical data centers and the cloud
- Plan and execute network operations and maintenance without planned downtime
- Operate Juniper switching equipment and open-source routing tools
- Automate configuration management and orchestration with Puppet and internal tooling
- Implement routing protocols like BGP and OSPF
- Troubleshoot network connectivity and performance problems in a Linux environment
- Work with 1/10 Gbps copper and 1/10/40 Gbps fiber topologies
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge
- Participation in the technology community: we help cover travel and attendance costs for conferences, and we offer opportunities and tools for speaking.
- Check out our Careers page for more company perks.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.