Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
As the Senior Video Architect you will support the Grainger organization and oversee the design, operation and technical strategy of all video conferencing, digital signage, broadcast and on-demand infrastructure and endpoints.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure all engineered installation designs meet the guidelines of “best practices”, security requirements and the intent of the stated requirement
- Participate in planning, technical exchange, coordination meetings, and Engineering
- Review Boards at the local and headquarters level
- Conduct site surveys, develop site designs, create operational concepts, test and implement plans to include providing requirement analysis derived from the customer’s request and translate those requirements into circuit designs, drawings, material lists, labor and hardware cost estimates, and implementation schedules, all in compliance with customer network standards and security requirements
- Participate in and provide site specific information for the project readiness review cycle, develop and conduct design reviews, and provide implementation coordination with affected O&M sites
- Responsible to work with network team to design interface requirements from the customer’s local area network interface to the wide area network infrastructure
Preferred Education & Experience
- Requires Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, and seven to nine years of related experience in video engineering or configuration management.
- Experience with Audio/visual system design and components including video walls
- Familiar with Network Hardware (routers, switches, , voice/video gateways, VoIP, video streaming and collaboration technologies)
- Networking Protocols (IP, DHCP, HTTP, etc.)
- Familiar with telecom industry standards including VoIP, IP, TDM, analog, Serial, and IP L2 and L3 principles
- Familiar with necessary security protocols needed to ensure video communications are secure
- Exemplary organizational and communication skills, and be able to manage a number of projects at one time
- Knowledge of videoconferencing technologies, protocols (H.323 and/or SIP), components (gatekeepers, gateway, codecs)
- Experience in design and implementation of audio/visual control systems for conference rooms, auditoriums and/or video walls
- Experience with Crestron, AMX, Extron or similar control system, design and programming
- Experience with Cinemassive, RGB Spectrum, Planar or similar video wall systems
- Certification in A/V system design - Crestron, Cisco Video, Polycom Video systems
- Ability to lift 25 to 60 lbs. and/or occasionally work in difficult positions.
- Success of presentations, communication, and collaboration by all levels of management is critical to the business.
- The Senior Video Architect will have a direct impact on the successful outcome of audio visual and video related meetings and events in the Boardroom, Auditorium, and throughout Grainger offices and locations.
- The Sr. Video Architect will manage external relationships with various vendors to support Grainger’s audio/visual and video needs
- This position interacts with all levels of the business, to include our Executive Leadership team and Board of Directors.