Product Design Engineer - Employee #4
HumanCentric is seeking a Product Design Engineer to lead our product development efforts as we continue to rapidly expand our product line. We are laser-focused on offering absolute best-in-class products. We aren't always first to market; in fact, we prefer to analyze every other competing product, systematically improving performance, reducing cost, and honing new features in order to improve performance, reduce cost, and meet customer demand. You will be our “Chief Product Optimizer”, ready to perform tear-downs on all types of competitor products, develop our own design approach, and take the product all the way through manufacturing and final delivery.
You will be Employee #4.
HumanCentric was founded in 2015 and is a profitable, high-growth, eCommerce brand. We offer solutions to help consumers organize their home and office technology to create well-designed and comfortable space for both work and play. We ship hundreds of orders each day to customers around the world, and are run by a small and driven team who makes it all come together.
To be a great fit for this job, you must have:
- 3+ years product design experience with a focus on mechanical engineering. 1+ years electrical engineering / consumer electronics experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge about manufacturing processes and material selection for metals, plastics, rubber, and other materials
- Excellent 3D CAD skills (SolidWorks or similar) and the ability to produce detailed manufacturing drawings
- A natural ability and desire to figure out how things work and how to make them better. If you don’t have the skills yet, you figure it out.
- The ability to work both quickly and methodically. You create tremendous amounts of accurate, finished work much faster than other people you work with.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Extremely good organizational skills and careful attention to detail.
- The desire and independence to work in a lean, small-company environment.
Had you been with us last month, you would have....
- Worked on many of our 30+ new products in development including metal and plastic mounts, ergonomic products, bluetooth products, charging products, furniture, lighting, and more.
- Coordinated with our international manufacturing partners to build prototypes, assess manufacturing samples, address challenges in manufacturing, and adapt designs as needed.
- Assessed our product line for standardization and improvement opportunities
- Prototyped and tested new products at our local prototyping partner (3D printing, laser cutting, etc.)
- Provided our marketing and design teams with the information they need to create instruction manuals, spec sheets, marketing content, and more.
If you work with us, within the next two years it’s likely that you’ll:
- Travel to China to work with our manufacturing partners
- Launch 100+ new products that you designed from start to finish
- Design and set up a rapid prototyping lab
- Gain experience with all aspects of product compliance, including safety (UL, FCC), intellectual property, and licensing (Bluetooth, etc.)
- Comprehensive health and dental plan
- Awesome, flexible paid vacation policy
- Beautiful, newly-renovated office in Skokie
- Work closely with a small, experienced team and gain exposure to all aspects of running a global products company and eCommerce brand