Product Development Manager
LuminAID develops innovative solar energy products for disaster relief aid and outdoor recreation. To help us continue to grow and improve our product line, we’re looking for an experienced product manager to join our team. Our customers include large disaster relief organizations responding to emergencies, individuals purchasing our products to keep in their home emergency kit, campers, and outdoor recreationalists. Our goal is to develop high performing, easy to use, and well-designed products that can fit the needs of multiple customers. Are you passionate about designing and bringing to market products that can make a real impact? In this role, you will work cross-functionally to guide products from conception to launch. You will be managing sourcing, new product development, product feedback and improvement plans, quality control, factory communications, and production. You will have a keen eye for detail, quality, consumer needs, and market gaps.
- Manage products from conception through launch. You will be in charge of sourcing, development, prototyping, testing, production, and quality control procedures for new and current products.
- Ensure the cross-functional development calendar is executed and adhered to, and ensure all internal and external partners are updated on timelines.
- Evaluate new product ideas and strategize appropriate go-to-market plans with sales & marketing teams.
- Work closely with all teams to phase in product updates based on user feedback or testing.
- Manage factory communications, including production and quality control procedures.
- Be responsible for feature trade-offs and prioritization during the product development process. Ensure that the products being built meet the defined specifications.
- Negotiate costs while considering cost trade-offs within the product.
- Manage key vendor relationships for both new developments and core businesses through the end-to-end product lifecycle.
- Manage purchasing of all components and materials for production. Collaborate closely with the Sales Team and the Logistics Manager to create accurate purchasing plans.
- Maintain up-to-date certifications and compliance documentation for products, and stay on top of new certifications needed.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in product design, manufacturing, engineering or related field.
- Strong experience in a dynamic product management or similar role.
- An excellent communicator, both online and in person, who demonstrates strong cross-functional collaboration skills.
- Proven experience overseeing all elements of the product development lifecycle.
- Highly effective cross-functional team and project management.
- Experience negotiating costs with suppliers and vendors.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills combined with strong presentation skills.
- Experienced in working with international vendors.
- Able to travel internationally.
- Knowledgeable about negotiating with overseas providers and what drives vendors' cost structures.
- Management experience (not mandatory, but preferred).
- Experience with factory or vendor communications. Specific experience with Chinese manufacturers a plus.
- Understanding of engineering and manufacturing processes involved in hardware and electronic products a plus.
LuminAID lights have been sold to individuals in more than 100 different countries, and outreach projects with NGO partners have put more than 100,000 lights on-the-ground in more than 50 countries including Haiti, Nepal and the Philippines. LuminAID has supplied its lights to Shelterbox, Doctors Without Borders, and United Nations agencies for distribution on the ground after disasters and in refugee camps. LuminAID was featured on ABC's Shark Tank and received offers from all 5 Sharks. LuminAID is backed by investors Mark Cuban and Blake Mycoskie, the founder of TOMS shoes. The company’s offices are in Chicago in River North. Learn more at www.luminaid.com