Product Manager at Britannica
Encyclopaedia Britannica is a part of the Britannica Group (Encyclopaedia Britannica®, Britannica® Digital Learning, Britannica Knowledge Systems®, Merriam-Webster®, and Melingo®), a global knowledge leader whose flagship products inspire curiosity and the joy of learning on multiple platforms and devices. Encyclopaedia Britannica, founded in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1768, marked in December 2018 its 250th anniversary and its 25th anniversary on the Internet. A pioneer in digital learning since the 1980s, the company today serves the needs of students, lifelong learners, and professionals by providing curriculum products, language-study courses, digital encyclopedias, and professional readiness training through its extensive product portfolio. Britannica and Merriam Webster are a top 10 consumer reference site on the Internet and generates about 5b page views across multiple devices. On the institutional front, Britannica has a presence in 83+ countries, reaches 150M students in 15+ languages. Britannica was recognized as #1 company to watch in EdTech by EdTech Digest and has been certified as a Great Place to Work.
“Facts matter and truth matters, and in a digital age that's currently seeing a tsunami of proactive misinformation, truth needs a champion. Britannica remains committed to surfacing trusted and verified information and delivering on our founding vision from 1768."
Our mission is to inspire curiosity and the joy of learning. Whether you’re looking for relevant and trusted information immediately or someone who enjoys getting lost in learning and discovery or simply want to learn more about a specific topic, Encyclopaedia Britannica can satisfy your curiosity.
The company is hiring a passionate, digital experienced Product Manager to help revolutionize our extensive and expanding Consumer products leveraging world class content, knowledge and expertise within our Growth and Innovation team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Product Manager will work with other product managers to drive and support innovation on Britannica’s products and be responsible for:
- Support the product development process from conception to completion.
- Project manage the product development process to execute and deliver results.
- Drive team accountability to timelines and deliverables across key stakeholders within the business.
- Define product/feature vision, roadmaps, document functional requirements, create/manage user stories & backlogs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional departments that include Business, Design, Marketing, Editorial, AdOps, Technology, & QA to execute new products, features, enhancements or maintenance.
- Understand complex data and technical dependencies .
- Monitor and analyze product usage metrics and feedback to identify areas for improvement.
- Ability to complete research, analysis and to be aware of competitive products, strategies and trends to help drive thinking.
- Support product marketing initiatives including promotions, marketing communications, content/design asset creation.
- Monitor competitive landscape, trends & product methodologies and incorporate organization
- Bring to life transformative products on the consumer front. We are looking for talent that thrives in agile working environment and customer driven iterative product development. Examples of recent products from Britannica Group Include:
- PUKU (gaming):
- Guardians of History (Voice)
- Lumie Labs (video)
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
Education/Training: BA/BS or equivalent
Experience: 3-5+ years of progressive experience in the field of digital product management. A candidate who has business analyst and/or project management backgrounds would be a strong candidate. Experience in digital news/media publishing, and/or Education Technology, would be a plus. Our search is focusing on up-and-coming candidates excited to expand their experience in product development.
- Strives to make a difference in the world through their individual and company contributions
- The successful candidate should be self-motivated and comfortable working independently; have the ability to prioritize and manage work to adhere to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment; be flexible and creative in seeking solutions; and must be highly organized and able to follow up on and follow through on multiple initiatives.
- Strong product discovery, development and optimization skills including experience of leveraging prototypes.
- Experience with product methodologies, user story creation & estimation, velocity, resource management
- Experience with software: Jira, Confluence, Monday/Trello, Slack, MS Office
- Extensive experience with using Jira specifically around story creation, project boards and burn down chart
- Prior experience in running projects using Agile methodology
- Comfortable articulating and presenting to team members, including C/D levels of the organization.
- Strong eye for good user experience & design
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills; experience with Google Analytics a plus
- Ability to evangelize user-centric design and best practices
- Passionate about Consumer Digital Products, follows trends and uses popular websites/apps/hardware
- Education, Education Technology, News/Media Publishing, Gaming & Social Platform experience a plus
- Exposure to the K12 & Consumer education spaces a plus
- Startup experience & entrepreneurial a plus
- SaaS & Mobile App development experience a plus