Senior Software Engineer
Position: Senior Software Engineer
Location: Chicago or New York
Raise, a leading retail payments company and the world’s largest gift card marketplace, connects consumers to buy discounted gift cards or sell their unwanted cards for cash. As the leading retail technology partner with nearly 400 national brands, Raise offers a new type of digital payment for retailers.
Since the company launched in 2013, Raise has saved millions of consumers more than $140 million and has received $147 million in funding from investors including Accel, PayPal, Bessemer Venture Partners and New Enterprise Associates. Raise is headquartered in Chicago with an office in New York.
About The Position
Raise is actively seeking engineers with a passion towards designing and building fast, scalable, fault-tolerant microservices to join our Backend Engineering team.
Leveraging Go, Ruby/Rails, MySQL, Postgres, Kafka and more, Backend Engineers at Raise are passionate about building well-designed, well-tested microservices that power the Raise web and mobile platforms. As a Senior Software Engineer you’ll play a critical role in our Backend Engineering team by helping define and refine our architecture, technology choices, best practices and innovative approaches to developing software at Raise.
We enhance our platform across several meaningful updates rather than getting mired in long release cycles. Our focus on scale, reliability, and product agility means we work thoughtfully, iterate quickly, and choose the right tool for the job. If you are a seasoned backend engineer that is excited by complex problems and enjoy working with teams who value creativity, diversity of thought, and learning from one another - we want to speak with you!
- Participate in defining and driving key decisions about our backend architecture and practices
- Collaborate closely with others to steer technical feature planning
- Collaborate on strategy as to how multiple teams’ feature work folds into a greater ecosystem
- Develop procedures to solve technical problems in a maintainable, pattern-driven way
- Assist product managers and technical leads in project planning and driving technical direction
- Be a positive influencer. Share, mentor, and foster an environment where you and others can grow and share technical knowledge
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across disciplines and weigh business needs against technical concerns
- Communicate technical concepts, possibilities and limitations to a non-technical audience
Skills & Qualifications
- 5+ years of software engineering, architecture and building robust and scalable systems
- 2+ years of technical leadership with extensive experience in evaluating technologies, mentoring junior level developers, developing engineering roadmaps, building POCs, ensuring code quality and iterative delivery
- Extensive experience with Go, Ruby/Rails, Postgres, MySQL, gRPC and Kafka preferred
- Extensive experience with distributed systems, stream processing and building business critical, highly scalable, fault-tolerant apps
- Extensive understanding and experience with software design patterns
- Extensive experience with every stage of software development process: design, architecture, deployment, code reviews, maintenance, documentation, etc.
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent professional experience
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, 401(K) with match, disability and life insurance
- Competitive PTO
- Raise Gives Back- 8 paid hours allotted annually for volunteer opportunities
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Paid parental leave
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V