IMC is a leading market maker, active on 90 exchanges around the world. Founded in Amsterdam in 1989, IMC was among the first to value the importance of technology and innovation in the evolution of trading. As we invested we grew, from 2 to 450. Today we operate globally – across time zones and continents. Working smart got us where we are. Thinking smarter will keep us there. When IMC made the decision to expand across the globe, it was no surprise that it chose Chicago. As the center of the derivatives market, Chicago was and still is the prime spot to be for the US markets. Inspired by entrepreneurship, our Chicago office has grown from 2 people to 150 since we began trading in 2000. A commitment to technology and innovation brought us to where we are today: a diversified trading firm active in many different asset classes on all major exchanges in the US.
Our business model is built on teamwork and we encourage the best ideas regardless of title. We continuously seek synergies between trading and technology in cross functional projects and teams. The collegiate spirit is ever present at IMC and we encourage our people to challenge each other and to say what they think. Being smart gets you in the door; a continuous desire to improve will ensure you succeed.
Feeling at home in a great team is important in any job and because IMC Chicago employs people from across the world, you’ll have endless opportunities to find your place on our team and build a network of friends.
IMC – Where Technology drives Trading
Trading nowadays happens in a highly competitive technological landscape; the best trading idea alone doesn’t cut it anymore. Instead, only the best trading ideas that are enabled via robust, scalable and fast technology win.
Do you enjoy the process of problem solving, a process where you recognize areas of improvement and iterate and innovate to improve? Does your curiosity and desire to learn drive you?
FPGA ENGINEERING AT IMC:
- FPGA technology allows us to achieve the lowest possible latencies which is key in keeping our trading strategies best in class
- As an FPGA engineer you will benefit from your expertise in ASIC or FPGA design. Efficient RTL designs (Verilog, SystemVerilog, or VHDL) are how we accelerate trading decisions to their theoretical limits
- You'll work in a small team that takes responsibility to own the complete solution. Outside of creating FPGA designs, you will be responsible for finding ways to become more productive, improve verification, along with measuring and monitoring your already-deployed solutions.
- We value good engineering practices and we take our responsibilities for stable financial markets very seriously.
- We currently use a combination of Verilog, VHDL, C++, SystemVerilog and scripting languages for our FPGA systems. We automate our testing and verification as much as possible.
- We connect to exchanges over Ethernet so understanding the details of network protocols and network infrastructure is a very important aspect of the job.
WHAT MAKES IT FUN?
- One of the most fun aspects of the job is that we have a very quick feedback loop. We release early and often to get incremental benefits as they are developed
- We operate at the bleeding edge of technology. Whether it’s Altera or Xilinx, we are committed to always using the fastest technology to base our solutions on. If something new can potentially bring an advantage we will actively invest in developing and utilizing the solution
- We really believe in sharing knowledge and technology between the different offices. Much of our technology stack is shared between all 3 regions, and we provide opportunities to travel between the regions both for personal growth and to assist where it has the biggest impact.
- To get the best results we encourage everybody to gain understanding of both the trading strategy and how exchanges work on a technological level.
- Working at IMC is also an opportunity to learn about financial markets. We know from experience that a lot of people really enjoy learning about a field beyond their immediate area of expertise, it’s one of the things that makes this job more interesting than others.
- We employ a broad range of people with varying backgrounds. What they have in common is their superior technical expertise, their extraordinary smarts and their collaborative approach. We will not accept less.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
- 2+ years of experience working with FPGA/ASIC design, testing, and verification module design
- Experience working with hardware development tools
- Experience in Verilog/VHDL, C++, and Python and/or other scripting languages
- Ability to work in a Linux environment
- Experience with network and system level protocols, packet based data processing, and computer architecture
- Familiarity with financial services industry a plus
We are at the core a trading firm, however we value trading and technology equally and we believe that cooperation between traders and technologists is one of our great strengths. This is also reflected in our organizational and remuneration policies. We believe in fostering a truly flat environment in which great ideas can be recognized as well as put into practice from anybody within our organization
WHO WE ARE:
IMC Financial Markets is among the world’s leading proprietary trading firms, and a market maker in securities listed on exchanges across the globe. Our cutting-edge technology drives everything we do. High performance algorithms, smart strategies and collaborative teams are the core of our business.
Today, IMC Financial Markets is 500+ people working together to build software and trade financial products in our offices in Amsterdam, Chicago and Sydney. What does this mean for you? The chance to join a multi-national, multi-cultural team of exceptional individuals, focused on making IMC the world’s best trading firm