We exist to help you enjoy the moments most important to you and yours by inspiring satisfying, stress-free meals fit for the way you live. We use the power of cooking to bring people together as the cornerstone of realizing each person’s full potential–in the home and in life.
Part of Berkshire Hathaway, Pampered Chef is the premier direct seller of high-quality kitchen tools. At cooking shows, our independent consultants help guests use our unique products to prepare simple and delicious recipes while sharing tips and techniques to make everyday cooking easier and faster.
Whether the cook is a future Emeril or a toddler helping to make chocolate chip cookies (licking the spoon, of course!), chances are Pampered Chef has a better, faster, and more delicious way of getting things done in the kitchen. We sell our superior-quality, innovative collection of prepping, cooking, and serving products through a network of more than 42,000 direct sales consultants throughout the US, Canada, and Germany. Millions of customers use our products every day. Each of our 450 HQ coworkers—from product designers and supply chain specialists to ecommerce developers—is committed to bringing the best to our customers. And we have fun doing it!
Established in 1980 by Doris Christopher, Pampered Chef was acquired by Berkshire Hathaway in 2002, a sure sign of our growth potential. In 2014, Tracy Britt Cool, a key member of Warren Buffett’s team, joined as our CEO to lead our transformation into a progressive, open door, cutting-edge workplace. We believe happy coworkers are the best coworkers and are committed to keeping creativity, innovative solutions and customer engagement top of mind. Pampered Chef is pushing the boundaries for our customers, consultants, and coworkers.
MAIN COURSE (Job Responsibilities):
We’re composed of four web agile teams focusing on different business functions in eCommerce. We work on software focused on successfully supporting our 42,000 consultants’ account management, sales tools, promotions, and pamperedchef.com. Our technology stack includes Java, Hybris®, Oracle, Spring, Hibernate®, and Selenium®…just to name a few! Here’s how you’ll contribute to the team:
- You’ll research, plan, and design software configurations between the framework, systems, and hardware in order to maintain a stable web cluster environment. Systems are defined as internet (public, Consultant’s Corner), intranet, scheduler, PamperedPartner Plus, and web system application and server software.
- You’ll provide guidance to the web development team regarding application design, prototypes, coding, unit testing, and implementation of business solutions.
- You’ll recommend direction for system infrastructure and environment utilizing various tools, such as J2EE, XML, Hybris or Oracle ATG, SOA, and Oracle. You’ll also recommend changes to system architecture to accommodate new site development.
- You’ll research, evaluate, and make recommendations on third-party products and new technology in order to identify opportunities for process improvement, automation, or tools intended to increase developer productivity.
- You’ll be a mentor to application architects and developers, and assist in the creation of development/design standards, business requirements, prototypes, coding, unit testing, and implementation of business solutions.
- You’ll provide project direction and guidance, and ensure the compatibility of new development with the system framework. You’ll recommend opportunities for training and development of developers and programmers.
- You’ll analyze and troubleshoots problems, determine whether issues are architecture-driven or process-driven, and provide resolutions. You’ll manage the lifecycle of high-priority web software development projects of all sizes in a backup role.
- You’ll lead the process of gathering and defining business requirements, writing technical specifications, developing prototypes, coding, unit testing, and implementing programs on systems assigned to web development.
- You’ll interview prospective candidates for senior, web developer, and programming positions within web development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related area required. Masters preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of software development experience, and 4 years of experience with Java/JEE required.
- Staff leadership experience preferred.
- Experience in architecture, network and hardware required.
- Proficient with JSE and JEE core libraries.
- Proficient with a Java web application framework; eCommerce a plus.
- Proficient with a Java Object Relational Mapping framework; Hibernate a plus.
- Proficient with relational database principles and SQL; Oracle a plus.
- Experience with the Eclipse IDE a plus.
- Experience with Spring, Oracle ATG, Hybris.
- Proficient with testing, test-driven development, and JUnit a plus.
- Understanding of network related technologies, protocols, and hardware required; TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, network appliances (routers, switches, firewalls).
- Knowledge of GOF (Gang of Four) design patterns a plus.
- Ability to accumulate an understanding of various application areas as a foundation for future system upgrades and programming assignments required.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong research skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required (documenting debugging resolutions and project plans, recommendations for software/hardware purchase).
- Able to provide and translate an understanding of technical projects to coworkers with non-technical backgrounds.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and adhere to deadlines with shifting priorities required.
- Strong organizational and project-management skills required.
- Strong interpersonal skills required, including the ability to develop, lead, and work within a team environment.
- Microsoft Windows and Office product proficiency required.
DESSERT! (The Sweet Rewards of Working at Pampered Chef!)
Our core values are respect, humility, accountability, meritocracy, integrity, authenticity, passion, and innovation (in no particular order!). We embody those values in our work, but also in the great desserts we offer to our coworkers.
- Each and every coworker makes a difference every day by asking tough questions, finding the answers, and then making it happen—our entrepreneurial employees are the key to our success! Pampered Chef is big enough to implement cutting-edge technology, and small enough for all ideas to be heard and challenged.
- We are a learning focused environment—we want you to learn from us, and we expect to learn from you and what you’re passionate about! We even provide training and development for added brainpower.
- We get to mix it up! PC has offices in Addison and in downtown Chicago. Some of our roles will have the opportunity to work in the Chicago office full time, part time, or on occasion.
- We collaborate every day in a high-tech space with writable walls, open collaboration zones, quiet “I need to contemplate” zones, and fun zones with ping pong, basketball, and bags, of course. No boring cubicle farms here!
- We are concerned about your physical and financial well-being and offer BC/BS PPO or HMO health plans, dental, disability, matched 401K, life insurance, on-site fitness center, comfy chairs, on-site cafeteria, and dry cleaning valet service.
- Most importantly, Pampered Chef has a strong, proven history of bringing fun to cooking, creativity to recipes, and sharing to family and friends around the table.