Jellyvision is hiring an Associate Creative Director
Jellyvision’s headquarters is in Chicago, and, post-COVID, many of us will be returning to the Chicago offices (by choice, not requirement -- our philosophy is “Flexible First”). But this position is also eligible for work by a remote employee out of CA, MI, MN, NY, OR, TX, or WI.
Who we are
We at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX, a platform that saves employees and their employers money by making tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits—less confusing and more enjoyable. The success of ALEX has exceeded our wildest work-related dreams, which is why we need an experienced Associate Creative Director to help us continue on our journey.
How you’ll help
Sometimes our ALEX customers need solutions that fall outside the realm of our ALEX product lines, and that’s where our Custom Solutions team comes in. As the Associate Creative Director and writer for this group, you’ll take the lead on a virtual smorgasbord of projects for our enterprise customers--from webpages to videos to interactive software--guiding both concept and content development, helping craft pitches that solve our customers’ problems, and then overseeing and guiding external talent to bring your visions of great user experiences to life.
What you’ll do
- Scope, concept, pitch, write, direct, and creatively consult on new offerings for our customers. You’ll bring your creative voice to business conversations to make sure we’re making things that humans will actually find valuable and helpful, and to steer us away from work that doesn’t solve real problems.
- Be one of two or three customer-facing members of the Custom Solutions team, along with our Director of Custom Solutions and Project Manager.
- Quickly uncover and comprehend the customer’s industry, unique challenges, and goals. You’ll ask excellent questions that uncover the true problem to solve--which is sometimes different from the problem customers present to us initially.
- Collaborate with the Director of Custom Solutions, Project Manager, and development team to vet the proposed solution’s feasibility and value against schedule, budget, and design/technical constraints.
- Pitch solutions you’ve come up with, and work with customers throughout the production process to preserve the initial vision, prevent scope-creep, and keep customers feeling excited and happy with our progress.
- Direct a small team (3-4) of mostly contract creative and design pros, who will assist you with designing and producing the content you have scoped. You’ll not only provide creative to the team, but also help ensure projects stay in scope, meet deadlines, and don’t blow budgets.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the in-house Custom Solutions team (Director, Project Manager, and two software engineers).
- Know good work when you see it, be able to articulate what good is, and provide concise direction on how to elevate good work to great work.
Experience & skills you’ll need
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Exceptional writing talent across a variety of mediums, with demonstrated skill in crafting succinct, conversational, clever, and helpful language. Our brand and the success of our work rely hugely on strong writing talent, so you’ll need an ear for how people speak in their everyday lives, coupled with strong writing chops.
- Experience directing creative and design teams, and collaborating with engineers and business types, to deliver strong work.
- Experience building your network of creative and design pros so you can tap for short-term Custom Solutions projects.
- A knack for understanding what’s inherently interesting and relevant about a variety of subject matter, and an equally impressive knack for asking good questions to create that understanding.
- An ability to understand and create logically complex user experiences like the ones underlying many of our products.
- The ability to develop a deep understanding and empathy for our users and customers, via instinct, experience, and research.
- An entrepreneurial mindset that is focused on driving value in the customer experience just as much as the end-user experience through engaging collateral and branding.
- Tech savvy. We won’t ask you to set up our wireless network or write code, but you will be using complicated software that you’ve never used before (because we invented it). Thus, the ability to understand new software is a must.
- An ability to think audio-visually. Any background or dabbling in audio or film editing will come in handy (though it’s not required).
- Strength & enthusiasm to edit and QA your own and your team’s work.
- Nimble creative judgment.
- Mental agility. Being able to improvise and iterate is essential.
- Being Resilient
- Customer Focus
- Demonstrates Self-awareness
- Decision Quality
- Manages Ambiguity
Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing people to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!