Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. Our audience of sought-after tech professionals use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and finding innovative companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
We're Looking for an Associate Editor for Our Expert Contributor Program
The primary goal of Built In’s Growth Content team is to attract and retain readers to our local market sites and to BuiltIn.com by creating materials that instruct, inform and inspire. We believe curating real stories written by real tech professionals that contain practical and useful insight is one of the most effective ways we can help people in our community grow.
We are seeking a creative editor to help recruit and commission tech experts to write solutions-oriented dispatches that prize both storytelling and competitive insights. They will be comfortable overseeing the work of contributors who may not have written for a professional publication before and will be ready to help make technical concepts and challenges interesting and accessible to a broad tech audience.
What You Will Do
- Create relationships with contributors that are in the trenches of engineering, data science, product and marketing teams at tech companies, both large and small.
- Coach busy entrepreneurs on how to pitch and craft insider stories that will both entertain and educate a broad tech audience.
- Recruit high-performing and/or high-profile contributors to write on a recurring basis (either monthly or quarterly).
- Provide substantive comments, line edits and copy edits on drafts that contain practical and useful insight into what effective teams are doing, how products are being built and all the other things that go into building a high-growth tech company.
- Help develop editorial guidelines, standards and taxonomies.
- Contribute in a thoughtful and creative way to the development of an entirely new editorial product.
- Respond to audience analytics and other measures of impact and adjust assignment strategies accordingly.
- Evaluate pitches quickly with an eye toward audience potential and diplomatically pass on stories that don’t fit within our editorial ambitions.
What You Need
- A strong passion for technology, startups and entrepreneurship.
- Two-plus years in a journalistic capacity.
- One-plus year of experience as an editor.
- Strong substantive, line and copy editing skills.
- Familiarity with basic concepts in business and technology.
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company—as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re OK with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead With Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more—do whatever it takes.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k), stock options and benefits.
- We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don’t care. We focus on the quality of your work and your collegiality more than on your apparel.
- Free food! Yes, you read that correctly. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have cold brew coffee on tap and provide catered lunch (Monday through Thursday). We eat lunch together most days, which means you’ll quickly feel like part of the team.
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hardworking, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets, take turns DJing and find time to celebrate our wins as a company.
- We offer unlimited vacation and sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and workload allow.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.