Editor, Brand Studio
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates uses Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.What we’re looking for
We’re seeking a creative and experienced editor to join Built In’s Brand Studio. Our team partners with growing tech companies and startups across the country, helping them craft inspiring, instructive and informed employer branding to engage with our audiences.
As an editor, you’ll manage a team of writers in the production of customized paid content packages. You’ll be an outstanding ambassador of our work externally and a resource to teams across the company. Working alongside other editorial leads, you’ll help scale our processes, strengthen our storytelling and improve our creative offerings. Most importantly: You’ll be a guardian of quality, a stickler for deadlines and a phenomenal manager of your team.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, manage and hold writers accountable for embodying company values and fulfilling primary job responsibilities
- Effectively communicate Brand Studio content strategy to writers (and clients, when necessary) to meet Built In quality standards and content mission
- Publish editorial packages that meet Built In quality standards and live up to content mission, meeting quality pillars at 80 percent or higher each week
- Effectively and continuously communicate with internal and external teams to manage on-time production of multiple pieces of branded content per week
- Along with editorial leads, effectively and continuously create process and best practices across entire Brand Studio product suite
- Ensure timely and effective coaching and training to writers
- Support all stages of editorial production as assigned, championing all editorial best practices and processes
- Provide best-in-class interactions with users and clients
- Cooperatively take on other duties, roles or responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Communications, Journalism, English, or a related field
- At least five years of editorial experience at a publication
- At least three years of client-facing experience producing branded/paid content
- At least three years of management experience
- Excellent editing skills
- A demonstrated ability to lead and motivate others
- A demonstrated ability to improve quality and efficiency
- A demonstrated ability to generate creative ideas in an environment of aggressive growth
- Expert knowledge of (and the ability to teach) AP Style and in-house guidelines
- Literacy in technology, product and innovation
- Previous experience at an agency or tech publication preferred
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if?” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it and get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
- Competitive compensation, 401(k), stock options and benefits.
- We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don't care. We focus on the quality of your work and your collegiality more than on your apparel.
- Free food! Yes, you read that correctly. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have cold brew coffee on tap and provide catered lunch (Monday through Thursday). We eat lunch together most days, which means you’ll quickly feel like part of the team.
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hardworking, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets, take turns DJing and find time to celebrate our wins as a company.
- We offer unlimited vacation and sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and workload allow.
- Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.