Editorial Director, Investor Audiences
Editorial Director, Morningstar Investor Audiences
The Opportunity: Morningstar is a storied brand with a 34-year history of independence and transparency. Our mission is to empower investor success. Our brand was designed to illuminate investing in support of our mission and to reach, inspire and enable current investors, new investors, and aspiring investors to reach their goals.
The Role: As Editorial Director of Morningstar’s Investor Audiences, you oversee the teams responsible for the creation, organization, and publication of articles, videos and other content that appears across our principal media site www.Morningstar.com (2.7M monthly unique visitors) and associated North America based properties, including the Morningstar Magazine (65K circulation), and engaged email, newsletter, and social audiences. Your unwavering goal is to understand, articulate, and fulfil the needs of individuals in their capacity as savers and investors wherever they are on their financial journey by tapping into and crafting the delivery of the research, analytics, thought leadership and staunchly independent investor advocacy that Morningstar provides. You are motivated by a passion for helping solve problems and establishing a clear and independent ‘voice of reason’ in the crowded space of advice on financial matters. You will be charged with planning, writing, commissioning and editing articles, features, videos, podcasts, etc. on a strategic set of themes that impact investors today. You will manage a small team of seasoned editors and investment specialists who cover topics such as retirement and investor education and who package, publish, promote, and resurface content every day. You will collaborate closely with editors who focus on the needs of investment professionals and contributors to our social, marketing, and paid professional platforms. This position reports to the Editor in Chief in our Chicago office.
- Work closely with the editorial leadership team to craft and execute the editorial strategy and agenda for the North American editorial teams and properties
- Lead the North American editorial team, ideating, assigning, planning, producing, and editing original stories and curating and adapting content from throughout the Morningstar ecosystem
- Collaborate closely with Morningstar research and investment management teams to surface insights and highlight the firm’s point of view on timely topics
- Monitor important developments in the fund industry, global stock markets, personal finance and the broader topics that impact investors with a view to imparting Morningstar’s advocacy and empowering investor success
- Develop expertise and contacts in various asset classes, asset management firms, and the overall industry and investing sphere
- Write regular articles and/or conduct video interviews with internal and external experts as needed
- Engage with investors through social media to grow our audience
- Track performance of content and provide feedback to authors and editors to help boost engagement and traffic
- A bachelor's degree is required; a graduate degree, Chartered Financial Analyst®, or CFP® designation (or progress toward one of these) is preferred
- Passion for investing and for helping investors make better investment decisions
- At least ten years related editorial experience, ideally as an editor with management and team leadership experience in the context of digital content strategy
- Broadcast experience is preferred. Press clippings and video clips should be submitted with application where available
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed social media presence and skillset
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.